Mobile menu

Add a Job Posting Rule requiring outsourcers to provide a more specific job description
Thread poster: Ralf Lemster

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:47
English to German
+ ...
Jun 30, 2006

Hi all,
The need to require outsourcers to provide more specific job descriptions was discussed several times before, most recently tonight.

What we need is to come up with a rule to be added to the ProZ.com Job Posting Rules. I look forward to your suggestions - as well as to any dissenting voices, of course.

Thanks for your contributions.

Best regards,
Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 02:47
English to French
+ ...
Good idea Jun 30, 2006

Yes, some job postings are less than informative in this respect, eg "10,000 words for July 10" or "French to English, technical".

How about a menu of sorts, pretty much like the list we have to choose from when we ask a kudoz question? Much shorter, of course, but detailed enough to provide the information we need about the job.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
agree with Sarah Jun 30, 2006

I totally agree with Sarah.

It seems a very practical suggestion.

Cheers

pearl1
United States
Local time: 03:47
French to English
short sample text Jun 30, 2006

If possible, a short text would help. Some outsourcers do provide a text and indicate that it is for reference purposes only and not a sample to be translated. I always find these short texts helpful when deciding whether or not to reply to the posting.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Don't we have the same fields already? Jun 30, 2006

I mean the same fields (broad and specific) as in Kudoz? But perhaps they are not mandatory? In that case, would it solve the problem to have those two fields made mandatory, but not optional? And even to add a mandatory write-in field where Other is chosen?

The problem is, mandatory dropdowns, radio buttons, check boxes can be added, and even it's possible to add a mandatory write-in field. But this is where our control ends - even where filling in the write-in field is mandatory, there's no way to control that that field is filled in with "satisfactorily specific info".

sarahl wrote:
How about a menu of sorts, pretty much like the list we have to choose from when we ask a KudoZ question? Much shorter, of course, but detailed enough to provide the information we need about the job.

BTW, I also support pearl1's sample text field suggestion. That would be really fine, but it can only be made optional, as far as I can see.

[Edited at 2006-07-01 00:44]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:47
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I strongly support that suggestion Jun 30, 2006

as I also often cannot quote on a job if the field is not specified. And no, in current job posting form there is not a single (mandatory) field requiring subject matter of the translation to be mentioned. Only "Sample text", but it's not mandatory, nor can be made such for possible confidentiality reasons.

On the other hand (been here, saw that), not always the outsourcer knows the field himself- say, European Agency requiring translation from Vietnamese into English

Uldis

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Then the question is... Jun 30, 2006

...upon learning from Uldis that these fields are not mandatory in the current job posting form...

Why are we required to choose Broad and Specific Categories to ask a Kudoz question, but it is optional to choose them when posting a job? Isn't it strange?

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:47
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
This is a must Jul 1, 2006

In general, this is a must. Please implement it in some way or form (that hopefully suits all).
Respectfuly,
Mikhail

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good idea Jul 1, 2006

Some outsourcers state the text is 'legal' or 'technical' which does not say much. If the outsourcer does not have sufficient information (s)he should ask the client first.
A sample text does help, but a clear indication of the subject matter is a must, I agree.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:47
English to French
+ ...
Just copy the KudoZ lists and make them mandatory Jul 2, 2006

It should suffice. Add a write-in field to it for those who wish to be even more specific.

I would also appreciate another field, where the type of document is mentioned. A manual is not the same as a contract is not the same as a catalogue is not the same as an advertisement... Well, you get the idea!

Cheers!

[Edited at 2006-07-02 06:51]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Why is posting a more specific job description not possible? Jul 4, 2006

Perhaps it is time to do something about the following situation when attempting to post a job:

Me: "Dear job posting system, I would like to find a translator, with reported credentials, in the XXXX language pair, who works in the specific field of XXX."

System: "Unfortunately, the number of translators who will be notified of your job posting is slightly on the low side. The number of translators who will be sent the notification is: 0. Please go back and edit your posting. It is suggested that you remove the requirement for the translator to report being qualified."

Me: "OK, system, if you say so, I will remove that requirement."

System: "Good. Unfortunately, the number of translators who will be notified of your job posting is slightly on the low side. The number of translators who will be sent the notification is: 1. Please go back and edit your posting. It is suggested that you remove the specific field in question."

Me: (sigh). "OK, system, if you say so, I will remove that requirement."

System: "Good. Unfortunately the number of translators who will be notified of your job posting is slightly on the low side. The number of translators who will be sent the notification is: 2. Please go back and edit your posting. It is suggested that you remove the requirement for that particular language pair..."

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add a Job Posting Rule requiring outsourcers to provide a more specific job description

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs