Thank you ProZ
Thread poster: BelkisDV

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2006

I wasn't sure under which Forum I should place this posting; nevertheless, I must say 'Thank You' to this site for its continuing efforts to improve itself and promote our profession worldwide.

(Tipping my hat).

Regards,
Belkis

Direct link Reply with quote

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 21:30
English to Russian
Probably "improving Proz" Jul 26, 2006

or "Proz bugs", because there used to be a huge
red "thank you Proz" button on its home page
early this morning.
Cheers
Aleksandr

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Agreed' :) but they're still at it. Jul 26, 2006

Hello Alexandr,

Thanks for your reply. At a certain point one must realize it comes with the territory (all sorts of computers, non-unilateral connections -DSL, dial-up, technological advances/disadvantages) and innumerable kinds of factors, not to mention our 'métier', which in itself is an enormous task to tackle given we are the silent heroes of language itself.

In spite of all of the above, I've witnessed the efforts and growth of the site. ProZ.com has taken our profession "where no man has gone before" (I used to be a 'Trekkie').

So...applause is in order (clapping and clapping and clapping).

Best,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-26 23:07]

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English to French
+ ...
Beautiful! Jul 26, 2006

Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet wrote:

(...) we are the silent heroes of language itself.

[Edited at 2006-07-26 23:28]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back at you. Jul 26, 2006

Mitsuko Moine wrote:

[Edited at 2006-07-26 23:21]

Thank you.

Best,
Belkis

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not silent, but... Jul 27, 2006

It's not that we're so silent, it's that our own voice has yet to be heard. We are the unrecognized heroes of language itself.

Proz.com is a good start to making our voice heard.

springyoung
China
Local time: 02:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
grow with PROZ.COM Jul 27, 2006

New member , hope to grow with PROZ.COM

teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudoz to the colleagues Jul 27, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

It's not that we're so silent, it's that our own voice has yet to be heard. We are the unrecognized heroes of language itself.

I'll use this forum to admit that you certainly are one of my heroes! Kudoz to you Henry Hinds, who has selflessly helped so many of us in our time of need when you yourself have never even asked one question!

And the beautiful thing is that there are many other colleagues like Henry, who are always willing to lend a hand. Kudoz to all!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jul 27, 2006

Thanks, Teju, and of course we know each other because we live in the same town, but the nice thing is that we also know colleagues all over the world.

Now if we can make OUR voice heard...

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Slowly but surely. Jul 27, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Now if we can make OUR voice heard...

It's happening, slowly but surely.

I remember when I first started, no online dictionaries, email was almost non-existent, anyone could claim to be a translator simply because they spoke the language and knew how to put the date in another (I'm being facetious here), no one asked for credentials (albeit the fact that credentials are often impossible to obtain for a great number of professional translators - their language combination is not available for testing by recognized universities, associations, etc.)

Most of that has changed already, other difficulties remain.

For those of you who are true professionals at heart and haven't had the opportunity or the luck to obtain your credentials...I admire you for 'hanging in there'. As professionals, we should have them (if only to be recognized as such.)

Our voice is creeping into the corporate world and embedding itself in the minds of those who claim to care but still sit with their arms crossed.

Patience is the key.

Kind regards to all,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-27 08:36]

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 12:30
English to Russian
+ ...
My special thanks Jul 27, 2006

To Proz as a meeting place - I have met terrific new friends and colleagues, many of them in person, and even enjoyed staying at their places in Europe! I keep inviting them to my cowboy country but they complain that I'm too far away:-) Hopefully some day...

xxxBrandis
Local time: 19:30
English to German
+ ...
it is indeed a great place Jul 27, 2006

I agree with you in the fullest sense. Infact i have just now completed my second certification at the DHV (took 10 days) and back on the ground, it is still great. This is a very unique site in many ways, ask the designers ( they are equally unique) i guess that makes a world´s difference. Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you ProZ

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs