Where? When? (Mod: More details required in job postings for interpreting jobs)
Thread poster: Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 13, 2006

Simultaneous interpreters needed for a 12 day medical conference. Must have minimum of 6 years experience as a conference interpreter.

No mention of where (except the US, a big country) or when.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could ask job posters for more CONTEXT?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-13 07:10]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:47
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs/BB moderator Aug 13, 2006

Hi Henry,
All the information you're missing is requested on the Job Posting Form for interpreting jobs - trouble is, some outsourcers don't take the time to look at the options in detail (let alone fill the fields).

If you send me the job URL through my profile, I can drop a note to the outsourcer.

Best regards,
Ralf

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Or how about this one? Aug 13, 2006

"we are looking for a proofreader of an english text. Volume: 1 hour; Payment: 10 USD; Topic: General"

How can you bid on something like that?

[Edited at 2006-08-13 19:03]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
No bid, Ruth Aug 13, 2006

It's ten bucks, take it or leave it!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Lack of information for translation jobs too Sep 7, 2006

Job just posted today. Here are the job "details" :

Job description:

We´d need a translation of a (PDF) document of 6000 words from French into English.

Please let us know your fees.

4 people had bid when I saw it. Bid on WHAT? Reminds me of all those who rush in to answer Kudoz questions that have no context at all. HOW can anyone possible toss out a bid without having a clue except to language pair, doc size and due date.<
... See more
Job just posted today. Here are the job "details" :

Job description:

We´d need a translation of a (PDF) document of 6000 words from French into English.

4 people had bid when I saw it. Bid on WHAT? Reminds me of all those who rush in to answer Kudoz questions that have no context at all. HOW can anyone possible toss out a bid without having a clue except to language pair, doc size and due date.

How can Proz allow such jobs to be posted?

[Edited at 2006-09-07 18:12]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:47
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You can't know what "bidders" actually wrote to the outsourcer Sep 7, 2006

writeaway wrote:
Job description:
4 people had bid when I saw it. Bid on WHAT?

How do you know that these "bidders" did not in fact ask the outsourcer regarding the nature and field of the job, instead of submitting a "real" bid?

Steffen

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
29 bidders have all sent emails and received replies? Sep 8, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

writeaway wrote:
Job description:
4 people had bid when I saw it. Bid on WHAT?

How do you know that these "bidders" did not in fact ask the outsourcer regarding the nature and field of the job, instead of submitting a "real" bid?

Steffen

Well, there are now there are 29 bids on this mystery job. Job announcement has not been edited to include additional information. So we have to suppose that all 29 people emailed job poster and were all individually informed about the job content? Imho, most people are simply bidding.
Why can't Proz require that job posters fill in a minimum of info about the job?? Of course it is a great way to get CVs from lots of people ....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where? When? (Mod: More details required in job postings for interpreting jobs)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »