Mobile menu

Quoting and Delivery Deadline @ job posting
Thread poster: isoyo
isoyo  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
English to Japanese
Aug 24, 2006

Quite often, quoting deadline and delivery deadline indicated at the job posting are exact same. what does it mean? once you get the job, and you don't have even an hour to work on it?
Do all posters use GMT for the deadlines or their own times?

Direct link Reply with quote

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, sometimes I find that strange too Aug 24, 2006

Yes, I have already noticed that the two dates are sometimes the same, which unless it's a really small job, it's almost impossible.
But when I apply to jobs like those, I clearly specify my daily output, so that the outsourcer can evaluate wether I'm good for the job or not.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Puzzling Aug 24, 2006

I find this puzzling too. I would like to see three times mentioned: the deadline for quoting, the time when the document will be delivered to the translator, and the deadline for returning the translated document. That way you know exactly what to expect.

As for the times, I don't trust them if it's not specifically stated that they are GMT. And, let's face it, the outsourcer could have made a mistake in calculating. I would like to see the outsourcer's local time as well - in most cases I can then figure it out for myself.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Job posters are humans, too ;) Aug 24, 2006

and so they make mistakes.

In the jobs posting form (which you can see yourselves, just click the Post a Job link from the menu) there are two separate fields: Delivery Deadline and Quoting Deadline - they are both required fields, i.e. they must be filled in. They do have pop-up explanations guiding the posters. The posters select dates and hours, but the choice for hours is limited (9 am, noon, 5 pm, 11 pm) and they are ALWAYS in GMT time.

It seems that the job posting form is clear enough in this respect, but people do make mistakes, click the wrong buttons, etc. This happens all the time. They also sometimes do have unrealistic expectations, as we all know, so I guess the best solution is when in doubts - contact the poster for clarifications.

isoyo  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
English to Japanese
thank you all for taking your time to reply!! Aug 25, 2006

the time when the document will be delivered to the translator should be specified, I agree with you, Tina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting and Delivery Deadline @ job posting

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs