Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:54
Italian to English
+ ...
Well it sounds good to me Oct 3, 2006

Professional outsourcers offering serious jobs for pro translators.

Gofer it.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
An idea worth trying Oct 4, 2006

I most definitely agree that this is a step in the right direction. I think that, in the end, the success of this venture will depend on how many translation companies actually post in the premium category, whether doing so really does enable them to access the most qualified translators for the jobs at hand and, most importantly, whether the contract conditions for such projects really are as desirable as Henry implies they will be.

A weakness in the proposal is that the "desirabl
... See more
I most definitely agree that this is a step in the right direction. I think that, in the end, the success of this venture will depend on how many translation companies actually post in the premium category, whether doing so really does enable them to access the most qualified translators for the jobs at hand and, most importantly, whether the contract conditions for such projects really are as desirable as Henry implies they will be.

A weakness in the proposal is that the "desirable" conditions are not clearly defined. I suppose that the main reason for the vagueness is that this definition will vary among the different languages, and for specific projects within a given language. Yet I still think it appropriate to give a more specific idea of how "desirability" will be gauged within my own language pair. I would hope that it does not merely mean "not insultingly low".

One thing I definitely appreciate here is Henry's sober and level-headed approach. So let's see how it works and, if it does not work, what modifications might need to be made to make it work. If in the end, it just never gets off the ground despite best efforts, then perhaps we can learn from the experience and generate better ideas.
Collapse

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Why "ProZ for Employers" ... Oct 4, 2006

... rather than "ProZ for Customers" or "ProZ for Outsourcers" or something along those lines? I assume that the vast majority of postings will be by potential customers requiring a service, rather than by employers advertising job vacancies.

Daniel Xie
Daniel Xie  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please show all potential job opportunities to both User and Members Oct 7, 2006

Hi Henry,
A. Catogering the job posting is great for your management, but I suggest that would not be a limit to the viewsight of new potential members. To allow all guys see all job postings can make it clear that how much opportunities existing in Proz, only which could result in more memberships.
B. Another point, as both a freelancer and outsourcer, I think Proz provide a great community for translators and clients(including agencies), less restrictions between them will be bett
... See more
Hi Henry,
A. Catogering the job posting is great for your management, but I suggest that would not be a limit to the viewsight of new potential members. To allow all guys see all job postings can make it clear that how much opportunities existing in Proz, only which could result in more memberships.
B. Another point, as both a freelancer and outsourcer, I think Proz provide a great community for translators and clients(including agencies), less restrictions between them will be better for encouraging potential new members as well as the members. The area which is more important is to creat a perfect reputation and credit evaluation method, and I think you have done a good job with it. Thanks for your hard work!

Best Regards

Daniel

Henry wrote:

This is my third post on "ProZ.com for Employers", ProZ.com's new initiative to market the services of ProZ.com members to the world's top translation clients (translation companies and end clients both.)

"ProZ.com for Employers" is ProZ.com's top initiative currently, and it corresponds to the number one request we have heard from our members for more opportunities to meet truly desirable clients.

My previous posts on the topic are here:

Marketing member services to clients - ProZ.com activities and how you can benefit.
http://www.proz.com/topic/54632

Marketing member services, part 2: Design and PR
http://www.proz.com/topic/55122

Announcing premium job postings

I post now to announce that we have created a category of job postings called "premium" job postings. What distinguishes these are that:
* The client meets a certain standard of desirability (we are retaining the right to bump undesirable opportunities down to "standard" status)

* The job poster has paid for the right to post the premium job

* There is a separate preference set for these. All members will receive notice, by default, of premium job postings for which they meet the criteria. Instructions are given on how to unsubscribe if you are not interested in these notices.
The first premium job has just been posted today. This is a real opportunity from a real client; Lexi-tech is the largest translation company in Canada. However, the system itself is in beta development, so we look forward to your feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Expect a gradual process

As I have cautioned previously, please do not expect this initiative to change ProZ.com overnight. Our new VP, Mike Kidd, is working hard contacting top clients, while the rest of the site team works on development and design, but it is going to take some time for the results to come in. However, if we are successful with ProZ.com for Employers, it will mean better opportunities, appearing more and more frequently, for you, our members.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this effort to boost our collective reach together as a community.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please help us market PFE by completing your profile Oct 11, 2006

In case anyone has missed it, we are asking all site users to pause to update their profiles. Complete profiles are very important to the outsourcers Mike has been working with.

We have developed a (relatively) convenient new page for the purpose: http://www.proz.com/quick_profile

Thanks in advance for helping to make PFE a success by completing your profile, and encouraging o
... See more
In case anyone has missed it, we are asking all site users to pause to update their profiles. Complete profiles are very important to the outsourcers Mike has been working with.

We have developed a (relatively) convenient new page for the purpose: http://www.proz.com/quick_profile

Thanks in advance for helping to make PFE a success by completing your profile, and encouraging others to do the same.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm. Oct 11, 2006

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

... rather than "ProZ for Customers" or "ProZ for Outsourcers" or something along those lines? I assume that the vast majority of postings will be by potential customers requiring a service, rather than by employers advertising job vacancies.

Good question. We really wanted something inclusive of both outsourcers and employers. "ProZ for Customers" might be better... or something else...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Daniel Oct 11, 2006

Daniel Xie wrote:

Hi Henry,

I won't rule that out, it is an excellent point. It would depend on outsourcer preference, though. As soon as you expose a client's name, there may be some who contact that client against the guidance in the post. This tends to create some "noise" that some outsourcers prefer to avoid.

But yes, I agree that transparency is often good on several levels.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Greatest attitude Oct 15, 2006

henry wrote:
Maybe you are right, though: maybe this whole thing is just a pipe dream. We'll see.

Your amazing vision made this site the best - I sincerely trust that it will continue to do so!

Thank you Henry.

DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Local time: 13:54
Portuguese to English
Please take (MORE!) than five minutes. Oct 15, 2006

I am working to a tight deadline and received an email from Mike Kidd saying you had a way of updating profiles in five minutes. The email also had wording that made me think I had better do it (or else.....) 26 minutes later and half-way through I realised I had better get back to my work. This "Please answer my survey - it will only take 5 minutes" is a well-known phrase from telemarketing/sales. It resulted in my beng irritated by Proz for the first time.

What I like most abou
... See more
I am working to a tight deadline and received an email from Mike Kidd saying you had a way of updating profiles in five minutes. The email also had wording that made me think I had better do it (or else.....) 26 minutes later and half-way through I realised I had better get back to my work. This "Please answer my survey - it will only take 5 minutes" is a well-known phrase from telemarketing/sales. It resulted in my beng irritated by Proz for the first time.

What I like most about Proz is it is down-the-line - WYSIWYG in business terms if you like - pay and get something extra, but also join a translation community for free (and in return contribute to Kudoz, for example). I am sure you must be aware of the two kinds of users....

I teach translation students (the future generation of course) use of computers in translation and showing how useful www.proz.com can be is one of their first activities - and they are not yet interested in Platinum membership of course.

I notice you (Henry) in a post here describe this as a(relatively) convenient way of updating... not quite the same thing as five minutes.

Please tell it like it is in the email. And try and keep the free and paid users - proz's ultimate strength comes from BOTH groups - develop the business side if you will but keep the community of practice!
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Five minutes is the target for the required sections Oct 15, 2006

DavidHardy wrote:

Our target was to make the 'required' sections (as opposed to the 'encouraged' sections) "completeable" in 5 minutes. When you say you were at it for 26 minutes, were you working also in the encouraged sections? If it was only the "required" info, what sections took you the most time?

Thanks in advance.

DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Portuguese to English
The process Oct 16, 2006

[. When you say you were at it for 26 minutes, were you working also in the encouraged sections? If it was only the "required" info, what sections took you the most time?

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I stopped after doing the "required" and just a little of the encouraged. Some time - the answers that require some rethinking e.g. one's fees, also the map, zooming in and out can take some time; got stuck on giving the coordinates, or not, saving after each section (not ne
... See more
[. When you say you were at it for 26 minutes, were you working also in the encouraged sections? If it was only the "required" info, what sections took you the most time?

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I stopped after doing the "required" and just a little of the encouraged. Some time - the answers that require some rethinking e.g. one's fees, also the map, zooming in and out can take some time; got stuck on giving the coordinates, or not, saving after each section (not necessary perhaps but I am allergic to filling in questionnaires without regular savings!). Working out if my address lines match the number of lines you have - tiny things, but one thing is inputting time the other is processing/thinking time.

Thank you for coming back to ask.
Collapse

allangua
allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
How can we become a premium client and what do we have to pay? Nov 12, 2006

How can we become a premium client and what do we have to pay? Where can we find more informations for outsourcers?

Andreas Schoeller
Allangua GmbH
Germany

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-12 17:09]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Alerted ProZ.com staff Nov 12, 2006

Good evening,
Andreas Schoeller wrote:

How can we become a premium client and what do we have to pay? Where can we find more informations for outsourcers?

Andreas Schoeller
Allangua GmbH
Germany

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-12 17:09]

I have notiified ProZ.com staff of your request.

Best regards,
Ralf Lemster

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, David Nov 17, 2006

DavidHardy wrote:

When you say you were at it for 26 minutes, were you working also in the encouraged sections? If it was only the "required" info, what sections took you the most time?

Thanks in advance.

I stopped after doing the "required" and just a little of the encouraged. Some time - the answers that require some rethinking e.g. one's fees, also the map, zooming in and out can take some time; got stuck on giving the coordinates, or not, saving after each section (not necessary perhaps but I am allergic to filling in questionnaires without regular savings!). Working out if my address lines match the number of lines you have - tiny things, but one thing is inputting time the other is processing/thinking time.

Thank you for coming back to ask.

Thank you. We'll pitch it as a "20 minute" process. Thanks!

Josephine Bacon
Josephine Bacon
French to English
+ ...
Advantages for direct end-clients Nov 18, 2006

The idea of promoting high-end translators to direct clients is an excellent one. Certain types of end clients, lawyers working on very confidential cases, would much prefer to contact a single translator/interpreter direct who could handle the whole thing. At the moment, I am working on some highly confidential material for a translation agency. The end-client, a government agency, does know who I am although I know who they are. I could easily contact the criminals who are being prosecuted and... See more
The idea of promoting high-end translators to direct clients is an excellent one. Certain types of end clients, lawyers working on very confidential cases, would much prefer to contact a single translator/interpreter direct who could handle the whole thing. At the moment, I am working on some highly confidential material for a translation agency. The end-client, a government agency, does know who I am although I know who they are. I could easily contact the criminals who are being prosecuted and offer to sell them the material or, what is a far more likely possibiity, is that I will be contacted by the defense lawyers and asked to work on the case.
Enabling end-clients to know exactly who they are dealing with as translators, rather than forcing them to go through an agency who will claim it is "not our policy" to put them in touch with the translator will give them much more peace of mind on confidential projects. This applies to all sorts of secret projects, such as pharmaceutical companies developing drugs, lawyers working on confidential cases, etc.
While government bodies in the UK and US are farming out more and more work to private translation agencies and thus exposing the public to more and more risk, just because civil servants are too lazy to do the commissioning of translations themselves, the end-users who are being forced to use big (and therefore unreliable) translation agencies are more and more unhappy. Believe me, a crisis point will come when the governments will be forced to admit that the policy of outsourcing was wrong.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing member services ("Project Connect"), part 3: Premium job postings

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »