what to do after quoting?
Thread poster: given2fly
given2fly
given2fly
Local time: 06:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 17, 2006

hello, I am new at ProZ, with translations. I have a question, however, regarding the quotings procedure. Once I have made a quote on the job, and usually there are several, the outsourse will chose one, righ? So I have to wait untill I see if he has chosen mine or not, is that correct? Thank you very much.

alexia
alexia  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to French
+ ...
Wait and see... Nov 17, 2006

It is indeed the usual way. Once you've quoted the outsourcer will get back to you if he's interested.
However if you were asked to provide a test translation you can still ask for a feedback.
Regards

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
Do not sit tight Nov 17, 2006

I am sure they do not have time to get back to anyone but the selected individual.and 99.9% of the time they don't. Do not sit waiting but continue searching for opportunities, here, doing direct email campaigns, etc. There are good articles about how to increase your client database.
Good luck!

given2fly
given2fly
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sure! Nov 17, 2006

Indeed I am not going to sit and wait. It's just that if they take long to reply and then you've posted other quotes, isn't ther the risk of overlaping jobs (and therefore not completeng it in due time)?

Thank you for your posts

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:25
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Blessed risk! Nov 17, 2006

Hi,

Of course, you run a potential risk of not being able to complete all the overlapping jobs on time by quoting on all job postings you think you qualify for. But I dare say when the risk comes true, you'll find a way to deal with it: sleeping less, drinking more coffee, buying another keyboard to type with your toes, etc.

While common sense is advisable, don't worry too much beforehand.

Go
... See more
Hi,

Of course, you run a potential risk of not being able to complete all the overlapping jobs on time by quoting on all job postings you think you qualify for. But I dare say when the risk comes true, you'll find a way to deal with it: sleeping less, drinking more coffee, buying another keyboard to type with your toes, etc.

While common sense is advisable, don't worry too much beforehand.

Good luck with your quoting.

Maciek
Collapse

given2fly
given2fly
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
indeed! Nov 17, 2006

yeah, blessed risk! you're absolutely right! so far I am worrying but still no translation jobs Liked the idea of typing w/ my toes though!!
thanks again!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not a professional translator ? Nov 17, 2006

You state on your profile page that you're not a professional translator.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but from a client's point of view I'd be asking:

If you're not one, why are you quoting for jobs on a website for professional translators?

(That said, how many more haven't followed suit, she wonders out aloud ........)

If you however mean you're a novice, you won't get out the starting blocks by stating that!...
See more
You state on your profile page that you're not a professional translator.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but from a client's point of view I'd be asking:

If you're not one, why are you quoting for jobs on a website for professional translators?

(That said, how many more haven't followed suit, she wonders out aloud ........)

If you however mean you're a novice, you won't get out the starting blocks by stating that!

Whilst honesty to oneself and others about your capabilities is a trait many don't seem to have and/or demonstrate sometimes in this field, negative advertising isn't going to help.

Rather concentrate on your strengths. At the same time only accept jobs after you've seen them and know you can actually deliver. Translating isn't as easy as many people think, but if you are entering the field with some firm professional knowledge (e.g. civil engineering/law/medicine etc) it's a niche you can aim for.

And as for your question - agencies tend to respond quickly and only if they're interested - if they haven't by now, chances are they won't.

Finally, if you're working in the PT market and intend working for agencies, I'd also suggest your rates are very high - in fact almost double what the better agencies are paying freelancers. Have you checked the going rates at all?

Boa sorte!

[Edited at 2006-11-17 16:53]
Collapse

given2fly
given2fly
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
expertise, rates and something else Nov 17, 2006

well, I appreciate your reply. And you are right, I am not a professional translator, but since this website allows me to be able to get in touch with translation opportunities, I decided to try. The thing is that I love languages and the ones I speak, I am fluent on. So it's not even gor the money! Anway, I DID check the rates and checked FAQ questions on other members and other websites. Some said that you weren't being well payed and that your work could even be doubtful if lower that 0,1 /wo... See more
well, I appreciate your reply. And you are right, I am not a professional translator, but since this website allows me to be able to get in touch with translation opportunities, I decided to try. The thing is that I love languages and the ones I speak, I am fluent on. So it's not even gor the money! Anway, I DID check the rates and checked FAQ questions on other members and other websites. Some said that you weren't being well payed and that your work could even be doubtful if lower that 0,1 /word!! Of course I know that depends on the market and region, but I am still learning.
I thank you all for the advice, and maybe you can let me know if there are other opportunities for people like me (translation for the love of it)...

thanks
rita
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Of course there are ..... Nov 17, 2006

given2fly wrote:

well, I appreciate your reply. And you are right, I am not a professional translator, but since this website allows me to be able to get in touch with translation opportunities, I decided to try. The thing is that I love languages and the ones I speak, I am fluent on. So it's not even gor the money! Anway, I DID check the rates and checked FAQ questions on other members and other websites. Some said that you weren't being well payed and that your work could even be doubtful if lower that 0,1 /word!! Of course I know that depends on the market and region, but I am still learning.
I thank you all for the advice, and maybe you can let me know if there are other opportunities for people like me (translation for the love of it)...

thanks
rita

Everyone has to start somewhere, some pointers which may help:

1. Make sure you never learn at your client's expense.

2. Stick to what you know you can honestly handle and build up experience that way.

3. You only seem to be translating into PT, which is a good basis (i.e. only into your mother tongue). Try find someone native PT with experience to proofread your work at first and give you feedback too, that's helpful.

Posting a request in PT on the PT forum is a good place to start.

4. I'd still suggest taking off reference to not being a professional translator from your profile page otherwise it's going to be a very slow entry into this field.

Look at a few other profiles to see how complete they are and get some ideas.

5. Clients will determine very quickly whether you can translate to a professional level. A passion for languages is essential, so you're off to a healthy start.

If you need feedback on rates etc, contact me through my profile page, ok? Don't worry, Portuguse agencies may not be the highest payers in Europe but it's not (quite) as critical as EUR 0.01

Bom fds e força!
Debbie

[Edited at 2006-11-17 16:52]

given2fly
given2fly
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great advice Nov 17, 2006

hey, THANK YOU so much for your advice! Really, that's very helpful. I will try to do what you suggested. It's great to get help from people who know - that's how you learn...!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to do after quoting?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »