Received e-mail through Proz with subject "work" but was not translation-related
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:22
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 5, 2007

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Sorry if it's not.

I've just received an e-mail through my proz profile with the subject "work" from a guy saying he apologises for writing me with a common subject but he lives in England and is searching for a job in the construction sector. He asks for my help.

Had it ever happened to you to get such kind of offer?

The text was written in Portuguese...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Self-promotional emails are a form of solicitation Mar 5, 2007

Here's the relevant rule:

3 Advertisements are prohibited. Paid advertising is available from ProZ.com in designated areas of the site. Unauthorized commercial solicitation, sent via the forums, **profile messages** or elsewhere, is not allowed. Discussion of sites offering competing services is also prohibited, due to past abuse.
http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3
... See more
Here's the relevant rule:

3 Advertisements are prohibited. Paid advertising is available from ProZ.com in designated areas of the site. Unauthorized commercial solicitation, sent via the forums, **profile messages** or elsewhere, is not allowed. Discussion of sites offering competing services is also prohibited, due to past abuse.
http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

Please submit a support request so the site has the opportunity to block this fellow's (mis)use of profile messages.
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:22
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was not fom a site member or user Mar 5, 2007

It was from someone who found out my contact maybe through google and wrote an e-mail through my profile.

Do you think it's worth it to submit a report in this case? I didn't do it in he first place because I wasn't sure if I had to...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Here's how to submit a Support Request for non-logged in contacts Mar 5, 2007

The site can block access to profile message setting via several parameters. When submitting your support request, be sure to include a copy of the *expanded* headers of the e-mail message you received. If you need instructions on how to obtain those headers, tere's a good explanation here: http://pobox.com/fullheaders.mhtml

As for why you should submit a Support Request, this fellow ma
... See more
The site can block access to profile message setting via several parameters. When submitting your support request, be sure to include a copy of the *expanded* headers of the e-mail message you received. If you need instructions on how to obtain those headers, tere's a good explanation here: http://pobox.com/fullheaders.mhtml

As for why you should submit a Support Request, this fellow may very well contact quite a number of translators via their profiles. Better to interrupt the flow sooner rather than later.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Received e-mail through Proz with subject "work" but was not translation-related

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »