Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 19, 2007

G'day everyone

I've read the jobs posting FAQ and stuff, but my question isn't answered in it (and I don't want to post a fake job just to see how it works).

My question is: What happens after a translator submits a bid? Is his bid e-mailed to the client, or is his bid captured by ProZ.com in some online system that the client has to visit? Are clients required to inform ProZ.com (either manually or automatically) which translor was accepted, or even if any translator was accepted? Can ProZ.com gather statistics about which translators' bids have been accepted?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Quotes Aug 19, 2007

Hi Samuel,
Service providers respond to job postings by quoting.

My question is: What happens after a translator submits a bid? Is his bid e-mailed to the client, or is his bid captured by ProZ.com in some online system that the client has to visit?

This depends on the contact method specified; if the outsourcer prefers to be contacted by e-mail, providers will contact the outsourcer directly.

Where the outsourcer has specified quoting via ProZ.com, a notification will be sent to the outsourcer for every quote submitted; quotes are managed via the Outsourcer Control Center.

Are clients required to inform ProZ.com (either manually or automatically) which translor was accepted, or even if any translator was accepted?

No.

HTH, Ralf

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It's great fun! Aug 19, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
(and I don't want to post a fake job just to see how it works).

When posting a real job of, say, less than 1000 words, you won't risk much. You only have to make sure that you will have sufficient time to retranslate it completely, just in case..

It will allow you to view the world from a different perspective, much like climbing on a table (although I don't see my clients there). I tried it 2 times and was very satisfied with the results, which I cannot say about all of the jobs I gave directly to friends..

Harry

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The bid travels very quickly Aug 19, 2007

Hi Samuel,

The bid gets sent immediately to the outsourcer's own e-mail box.

The outsourcer can choose to formally accept or reject a bid, or "take no action yet".

According to experience, a formal acceptance is best sent after finalising the details with the accepted bidder by e-mail, as a formality to finalise the process.

There is a disadvantage to sending a rejection, namely that the bidder's offer then disappears from the screen for good (or is, in any event, hidden from the outsourcer).

If no action is taken, the outsourcer can still view the bidder's offer at any time in the future, through the Outsourcer Control Center, and perhaps select the bidder for a different job.

Therefore, if you do not hear anything, no news is good news, at least concerning future jobs.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do bids work?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs