About job offer vetting - can the requirement to be vetted be removed?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 22, 2007

Does anyone know what factors can trigger the job offer of a company to be vetted?

Sometimes to wait for the vetting can substantially delay the recruitment process. And sometimes I got jobs that require the same day turnaround, and in this situation, to wait for the vetting can be very hard for the PM.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-23 13:21]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And is there anything I can do to get the vetting requirement removed? Aug 22, 2007

Any input is wellcome. Thanks!

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Submit a support request concerning job posting issues Aug 23, 2007

When you have a job posting issue, the best way to get it attended to is to submit a Support Request to Site staff. This way you will get their attention directly, rather than having to wait for someone to notice your forum posting.

Link to Support Requests:

http://www.proz.com/support

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 15:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
"Vetting" of a job offer... details, please? Aug 24, 2007

Greetings.

I came upon this thread somewhat late.

Since the concept of "vetting" an item, person or project can be open to wide interpretation (no pun intended), would someone kindly clarify in terms of this cited "vetting" of a job offer:

What is getting vetted, who is doing the vetting, and on whose behalf?

Related to that is how much time is invested (or frittered away and wasted) in the process, since translation projects customarily invol
... See more
Greetings.

I came upon this thread somewhat late.

Since the concept of "vetting" an item, person or project can be open to wide interpretation (no pun intended), would someone kindly clarify in terms of this cited "vetting" of a job offer:

What is getting vetted, who is doing the vetting, and on whose behalf?

Related to that is how much time is invested (or frittered away and wasted) in the process, since translation projects customarily involve time-sensitive scheduling for production, QA/QC/polishing, and final delivery into the hands of the customer (language services agency)?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Job vetting criteria, and who does the footwork Aug 24, 2007

The FAQ has a brief explanation of when vetting is needed. Please see

http://www.proz.com/faq/jobs_posting#1.18

However, to elaborate:

(1) Jobs that need vetting are those that are posted by non-registered users of the Site, and by profiles that have not been VID'd and/or are not Site members. Conversely,the system is programmed to exclude jobs from vett
... See more
The FAQ has a brief explanation of when vetting is needed. Please see

http://www.proz.com/faq/jobs_posting#1.18

However, to elaborate:

(1) Jobs that need vetting are those that are posted by non-registered users of the Site, and by profiles that have not been VID'd and/or are not Site members. Conversely,the system is programmed to exclude jobs from vetting when posted by Members, VID'd profiles, and... by registered users (those with a profile) who've posted jobs for several months and whose Blue Board record either has no LWA entries at all or reflects a high LWA average (I wish could remember what the percentage was, but it's not coming to mind at the moment. Sorry!)

In addition, Site staff and Jobs moderators can add a vetting requirement to any profile that does not comply with job posting requirements (i.e., no contact name provided, unsubstantiated claim of non-profit status, etc.).

(2) As to who does all that vetting work, most, but not all vetting is done by a group of ProZ.com moderators who've volunteered to help out in the Jobs and Blue Board areas of the Site. I'm one of them.

Occasionally Site staff steps in to vet jobs when they haven't been vetted for several hours. But we Jobs moderators are usually pretty "fast on the draw." In the case of the job posting mentioned above, for instance, the job had been approved less than 5 minutes after it was posted, long before I noticed the initial posting in this thread!

(3) About *why* some job postings need to be vetted: basically, along with the input found in the Blue Board, this is ProZ.com's own small effort to help tame the wild, woolly frontier that is the Internet, and make it a safer, more reliable place to do business. I can remember, back before we had vetting, several instances where jobs were posted by impostors posing as a particular company, either to cheat the translator, or, in one case, to get the actual company in trouble! Who'd want to apply for jobs in that kind of atmosphere!

So, in fact, creating an atmosphere of trust means that *good* translators who might otherwise not consider job offers from distant places have come to rely on the work that we do on the Blue Board and on job postings. This means that people who post jobs on the Site can expect to draw from a much more attractive pool of language professionals than they otherwise might be able to find. We're pretty proud of the results!

(4) But we're not perfect! So, if you're looking for work, please, please, before accepting to do a job, do your own checking! What we do hardly scratches the surface. And if you're posting a job, check out the people who reply to your job posting *before* hiring them. I.e., practice safe Internetting!

Yolanda Broad
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About job offer vetting - can the requirement to be vetted be removed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »