Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Outsourcers now have the option to rank freelancers by KudoZ PRO points in the last 12 months
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Nov 14, 2007

Dear members,

When outsourcers perform a Directory search, the most common way that clients and service providers meet at ProZ.com, they are offered a list of language service providers ranked by membership status (members first) and then by KudoZ.

Both lists for members (professional or partial-jobs) and other users are ranked by PRO KudoZ points in the selected language pair and field of expertise.

Now outsourcers have been given the option of ranking fr
... See more
Dear members,

When outsourcers perform a Directory search, the most common way that clients and service providers meet at ProZ.com, they are offered a list of language service providers ranked by membership status (members first) and then by KudoZ.

Both lists for members (professional or partial-jobs) and other users are ranked by PRO KudoZ points in the selected language pair and field of expertise.

Now outsourcers have been given the option of ranking freelancers according to only the KudoZ PRO points obtained during the last 12 months.

The default sorting criterion will be the traditional system, by all time points (without time limits).

Thanks for supporting the site!
Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 13:53
English to Russian
+ ...
More power to them Nov 15, 2007

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:53
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pressure is on Nov 15, 2007

A subtle way to increase the pressure.

On the other hand this can provide a fair chance to newcomers who cannot hope to compete with old members who have gathered thousands of points over many years.

[Edited at 2007-11-15 11:46]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 12:53
English to Spanish
I don't agree Nov 15, 2007

All my clients come from (God bless) the Proz Job Posting section. They keep me busy most of the year, and I have little time to answer Kudoz questions. I guess clients who choose me, for whatever reason, rarely give a glance to my few Kudoz points.

Will this option be fair to translators like me? I don't think so.

I'll have to rethink on suscribing again.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This option should not affect you at all Nov 15, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

All my clients come from (God bless) the Proz Job Posting section. They keep me busy most of the year, and I have little time to answer Kudoz questions. I guess clients who choose me, for whatever reason, rarely give a glance to my few Kudoz points.

Will this option be fair to translators like me? I don't think so.

Hi Tadzio,

This will be an alternative sorting mechanism for outsourcers who look for translators through the directory. Freelancers have always been sorted there by membership status (members first) and then by KudoZ PRO points. This new alternative option will allow outsourcers to consider only the points corresponding to the last 12 months.

As you get your jobs from job postings, this option should not affect you at all.

Best regards,
Enrique

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
By the way... Nov 15, 2007

Enrique wrote:
Hi Tadzio,
This will be an alternative sorting mechanism for outsourcers who look for translators through the directory. Freelancers have always been sorted there by membership status (members first) and then by KudoZ PRO points. This new alternative option will allow outsourcers to consider only the points corresponding to the last 12 months.

As you get your jobs from job postings, this option should not affect you at all.

Best regards,
Enrique

My last three clients come from outsourcers who found me through the Directory. I can give you their names, if you wish. They are colleagues and agencies...

As you can see, the new option is not good news for me, as is not for many like me, for what I can see.

Sorry, Enrique, it is still bad news.

[Edited at 2007-11-15 16:46]

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Jobs postings and Directory searches Nov 15, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

My last three clients come from outsourcers who found me through the Directory.

Hi Tadzio,

The Job Porting section and the Directory are different areas of the site. When you said

All my clients come from (God bless) the ProZ.com Job Posting section.

I understood that you meet your clients by answering to jobs posted by them on the site, not via their searches in the freelancer directory.

The Directory search findings have always been ranked by membership status (members first) and then by KudoZ PRO points.

The only new thing is that outsourcers now have the option to rank considering only the points in the last year. And this is just an option, the default is the same system that has proved useful to you in the past.

Regards,
Enrique

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
All hirings are made of "options", Enrique. Nov 15, 2007

Enrique wrote:
And this is just an option, the default is the same system that has proved useful to you in the past.

It's 8:38 a.m. in my place... The day is starting... And this thought will be spinning around all day in my mind.

I better get to work. Have a nice day.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Does membership still count? Nov 15, 2007

Hi Enrique,

Could you please clarify one point for me: with the new option, is it ONLY KudoZ points that are taken into account? Or will outsourcers see members first and then non-members, with the only thing that changes being the time frame for the KudoZ points?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question!

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
I'm not too thrilled with it, either Nov 15, 2007

My first impressions of the Kudoz system were not all that positive.
I haven't used Kudoz for at least a year, and I realize that the mods are saying this will not have any effect on users like me whatsoever, but doesn't it mean that I may be overlooked if a potential client decides to search exclusively by Kudoz points?
There's got to be some better incentive for me to renew my membership other than pressuring me to use a site feature that I don't want to use...

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This has not changed at all: first membership, and then KudoZ Nov 15, 2007

Kathryn Strachecky wrote:

Could you please clarify one point for me: with the new option, is it ONLY KudoZ points that are taken into account? Or will outsourcers see members first and then non-members, with the only thing that changes being the time frame for the KudoZ points?

Hi Kathryn, thanks for your question.

When an outsourcer looks for freelancers in the directory (for instance indicating language pair, field of expertise and other parameters), the results come in two batches, the first one for members (full professional, partial jobs, corporate) and the second for other kinds of users.

The secondary criterion, used in each partial list, is by amount of KudoZ PRO points in the corresponding language pair and specialty.

This is the way the Directory works and this has not changed at all: first membership, and then KudoZ.

What is new is the option now given to outsourcers to sort by KudoZ using only the points earned during the last 12 months.

The default system considers "all time" points, as it has done before.

Regards,
Enrique

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's hard to please everyone Nov 15, 2007

Enrique wrote:

Now outsourcers have been given the option of ranking freelancers according to only the KudoZ PRO points obtained during the last 12 months.

I see that this is to provide more opportunities to newcomers. Some specific population will be pleased, but not everybody, just like Tadzio Carvallo has manifested it. Even when the "all time" points will still count, this means to substract one of the chances from the amount some old members like me have. It is hard to please everyone. Let's see what comes next.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
How the directory works Nov 15, 2007

A good profile will make sure you are considered in the Directory (you may not be included if your profile lacks some key fields such as language pair, services and fields of expertise).

Even the order of this information is important, so make sure to have your most important language pairs and fields of expertise at the top of your lists.

If the information in your profile matches the requirements selected by an outsourcer in the directory, you will be among the selec
... See more
A good profile will make sure you are considered in the Directory (you may not be included if your profile lacks some key fields such as language pair, services and fields of expertise).

Even the order of this information is important, so make sure to have your most important language pairs and fields of expertise at the top of your lists.

If the information in your profile matches the requirements selected by an outsourcer in the directory, you will be among the selected freelancers offered to him/her.

If you are a jobs-related ProZ.com member (full professional, partial jobs, corporate) you will be part of the top list. Otherwise you will be in the second list in the directory.

In each of both lists, the candidates will be shown by number of KudoZ PRO points in the selected language pair and field of expertise.

Now there is an alternative option given to outsourcers, to rank results only by the points achieved during the last year. The default is still to sort by the traditional "all time" KudoZ points.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
KudoZ is only one of several criteria Nov 15, 2007

I think everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill here. Whenever I have looked for freelancers to help me out, KudoZ is only one of many things that I look for (experience, native language, certification, specializations, etc.).

In fact, if I had to pick between 2 translators, and one had lower or no KudoZ points, but had certification, more experience and other positive criteria, I would rather pick that translator.

The fact that someone doesn't have time to sp
... See more
I think everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill here. Whenever I have looked for freelancers to help me out, KudoZ is only one of many things that I look for (experience, native language, certification, specializations, etc.).

In fact, if I had to pick between 2 translators, and one had lower or no KudoZ points, but had certification, more experience and other positive criteria, I would rather pick that translator.

The fact that someone doesn't have time to spend on KudoZ does not make them an inferior translator. Probably the opposite is true - they are overloaded with work and are in high demand!

I don't see anything to worry about here.

Russell
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I welcome this new possibility in principle Nov 15, 2007

as it gives, like you say, a chance also to newcomers.

But what about the famous "reliability ratio" which has been discussed here many times and found everyone agreeing, besides the staff that never took any position, as far as I know?

This would be still much fairer for everyone and surely much more expressive than the points alone.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcers now have the option to rank freelancers by KudoZ PRO points in the last 12 months

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »