Are you leary of job posters that want you to send quotes directly instead of through ProZ?
Thread poster: Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

because he/she could be sending each translator that quotes on the job a different section of the document to translate as a "sample" and then compile them all at the end, assigning and paying no one for the job.

I notice that most times, the ones that post jobs this way are individuals, not agencies.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Edited Nov 27, 2007

Sorry, on re-reading and from Nordiste's reply I see I hadn't understood you correctly!

[Edited at 2007-11-27 18:14]

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I have never experienced that sort of thing Nov 27, 2007

In my case the test text was given in the job offer, so it was obvious that it was the same for everybody.

The only thing that bother me with direct answers is that you cannot know how many other answerers there are.

When I see that 10 or more people have already answered, I usually do not add my own quote, unless it is a very specific field where I know that I can make a difference.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm not leary Nov 27, 2007

No, I'm not leary... in fact, I prefer direct contact with clients.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I think this is a translators' urban legend Nov 27, 2007

Crystal Samples wrote:

because he/she could be sending each translator that quotes on the job a different section of the document to translate as a "sample" and then compile them all at the end, assigning and paying no one for the job.

Variation of this meme have made the rounds of the translation world for years, in fact, from before the Internet. Yet, it shows all the signs of being an urban legend: in 22+ years of full time experience as a translator, and with lots of contacts with other colleagues, I have never personally seen this to happen, nor have I ever heard any convincing first hand evidence that this happened to someone.

It is always at most second-hand reports: people that have heard it from someone else, or heard that it had happened to someone else, and so on.

[Edited at 2007-11-28 04:49]

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
French to English
+ ...
You guys are clearly off-duty :) Nov 28, 2007

It's "leery".

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Nov 28, 2007

Thanks for catching that!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Excuses, excuses... Nov 28, 2007

Patrice wrote:
You guys are clearly off-duty It's "leery".

Yes, I did think about that... and I was in a hurry so I dismissed that little bell going off in my mind by telling it "leer... leery... duh!". So obviously the wrong duh.

It begs the question, though. To native Englishers, then, what would you call someone who is leery in the sense of "to leer"?

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
leery Nov 28, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Patrice wrote:
You guys are clearly off-duty It's "leery".

It begs the question, though. To native Englishers, then, what would you call someone who is leery in the sense of "to leer"?

leery=mistrustful , suspicious , untrusting

a lech=lecherous person, someone who leers

Igor Indruch
Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Have you ever try to compile project from different translators? Nov 28, 2007

I did. An agency split the job and then asked me for "proofreading". Well, it is not worth it. And agency which does something like that can hardly sustain. Recently there was a job offer for about 7 000 words - deadline was next day, so they said they will split it between several translators. And the rate was 0.05 USD!

I made a post about it, but it was misunderstood by moderators, so was not approved.

But the main point was (is) - it is often easier to translate su
... See more
I did. An agency split the job and then asked me for "proofreading". Well, it is not worth it. And agency which does something like that can hardly sustain. Recently there was a job offer for about 7 000 words - deadline was next day, so they said they will split it between several translators. And the rate was 0.05 USD!

I made a post about it, but it was misunderstood by moderators, so was not approved.

But the main point was (is) - it is often easier to translate such text again then try to "compile".

So the client who wants to save money this way can use some translating software instead - the results are comparable...

[Edited at 2007-11-28 09:41]

[Edited at 2007-11-28 09:42]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"translators' urban legend" - NOT! Nov 28, 2007

It's the great conspiracy.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Any proof? Nov 28, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

It's the great conspiracy.

Which great conspiracy?

Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Philippines
Local time: 12:07
Member (2007)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
well.. Nov 29, 2007

Just to share something with you guys. I recently turned down (It was actually offered to me but for formality's sake they requested for a sample translation) a big project EN-TG because the agency wanted me to submit a "sample" exclusively using Trados. I objected and I told her that I will submit my sample in whatever format I wish to because I believe that the sample intends to gauge my capability in that specific field regardless of the CAT tool. She explained that they require Trados becaus... See more
Just to share something with you guys. I recently turned down (It was actually offered to me but for formality's sake they requested for a sample translation) a big project EN-TG because the agency wanted me to submit a "sample" exclusively using Trados. I objected and I told her that I will submit my sample in whatever format I wish to because I believe that the sample intends to gauge my capability in that specific field regardless of the CAT tool. She explained that they require Trados because once they assign the job to me, they will include it in the whole document and pay me for it. I stood firm with my decision because eventhough I suggested to transfer it to Trados once they assign the job to me, still they refused to accept the sample in plain form (without CAT tool). I got really leery because the project was due the next day and it was a 27000-word manual to be divided among translators and the Project Manager is also a Filipina based in China and she seemed not to get my point no matter how clearly I explained to her my justification why I refuse to have the sample done with Trados. Well, in the end I just wished her good luck with the project and that she may get more samples.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you leary of job posters that want you to send quotes directly instead of through ProZ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »