Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
BrowniZ points?
Thread poster: Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
Feb 19, 2008

Hello everyone, I am rather new at this site. I have applied for a job today and noticed that they asked me to pay with my BrowniZ points. So I was wondering how can I earn those? I saw that one way is to make glossary entries. How does that work? Is it up to me to make the entries or do the rest of the users decide that?
Muchas gracias!

Virginia.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
Browniz FAQ Feb 19, 2008

Hi Virginia,

Welcome to the site. Please refer to the How to get BrowniZ FAQ. The site FAQ can be found under the "About" menu on the top right.

Glossary entries in Kudoz are made either by the asker or the answerer whose suggestion is chosen.

HTH

Regards,

Özden

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary entries? Feb 20, 2008

Hello Özden and thank you so much for your very clear answer. I have been looking at the Broniwz FAQ and will try to follow the tips there. About the glossary entries, I have checked and every time an answer I gave was chosen as most helpful, it was the asker who submitted it in the glossary. In such case, do we both get browniz or the asker only? and is it the same amount of points if I make the entry as if the asker does?

Gracias!!

Virginia.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's fairer to let the answerer earn the Browniz Feb 20, 2008

Vir-F wrote:

Hello Özden and thank you so much for your very clear answer. I have been looking at the Broniwz FAQ and will try to follow the tips there. About the glossary entries, I have checked and every time an answer I gave was chosen as most helpful, it was the asker who submitted it in the glossary. In such case, do we both get browniz or the asker only? and is it the same amount of points if I make the entry as if the asker does?

Gracias!!

Virginia.

In my opinion, it's fairer to let the answerer earn the Browniz by making the glossary entry. That's what I do - after all, it was the answerer who took the trouble to find the answer for me. I make the entry only if I was the chosen answerer - if I get there in time! But I believe that, according to the rules, either the asker or the answerer can make the glossary entry.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't get BrowniZ and KudoZ mixed up Feb 20, 2008

BrowniZ are awarded for work & entries (e.g. in personal glossaries) that support the site itself. They are also awarded for peer comments (agree/neutral/disagree) to KudoZ postings, and can be used as a kind of payment currency.

KudoZ points ("knowledge points") are awarded for submitting a correct answer to a question posted by a colleague. The poster must select your answer and determine how many KudoZ points you get (from 1 to 4).

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds fair :) Feb 20, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:
In my opinion, it's fairer to let the answerer earn the Browniz by making the glossary entry. That's what I do - after all, it was the answerer who took the trouble to find the answer for me. I make the entry only if I was the chosen answerer - if I get there in time! But I believe that, according to the rules, either the asker or the answerer can make the glossary entry.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Thanks Jenny, it's very clear and it sounds fair!

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I understand Feb 20, 2008

John Jory wrote:

BrowniZ are awarded for work & entries (e.g. in personal glossaries) that support the site itself. They are also awarded for peer comments (agree/neutral/disagree) to KudoZ postings, and can be used as a kind of payment currency.

KudoZ points ("knowledge points") are awarded for submitting a correct answer to a question posted by a colleague. The poster must select your answer and determine how many KudoZ points you get (from 1 to 4).

Thanks John! it's clear.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
I trust only myself--sorry. Feb 20, 2008

To Vir-F: The asker gets the first chance at making the glossary entry, because she can make it at the same time she chooses the most helpful answer. Answerer gets the second chance, if the asker doesn't do it. Unless the rules have changed, you can also get BrowniZ by manually submitting your own terms to the glossary--you can even upload your own glossary (if you've been keeping one of, for example, a list of terms in your specialty field).

The easiest way to earn BrowniZ is to d
... See more
To Vir-F: The asker gets the first chance at making the glossary entry, because she can make it at the same time she chooses the most helpful answer. Answerer gets the second chance, if the asker doesn't do it. Unless the rules have changed, you can also get BrowniZ by manually submitting your own terms to the glossary--you can even upload your own glossary (if you've been keeping one of, for example, a list of terms in your specialty field).

The easiest way to earn BrowniZ is to do as John Jory mentions: submit comments (agree/disagree/neutral) on other people's KudoZ answers.

Jenny Forbes wrote:

In my opinion, it's fairer to let the answerer earn the Browniz by making the glossary entry.

To Jenny: Jenny, this has come up before, and comments like yours always make me feel guilty. Certainly, I see your point! However, I hadn't been on ProZ very long before I noticed how badly some glossary entries are constructed, and I just don't trust anybody else to do it right (by my own standards, of course!). So many people fail to make the two terms parallel as to part of speech, how much of the phrase is included, how specific the question is to the particular text, etc. So I do it myself to be sure it goes into the glossary in correct format. Also, I sometimes want to include two or more options, suggested by different answerers; if I wait and let the answerer make the glossary entry, she will probably enter just her own.

As I said, I do see your point and I feel guilty about "grabbing the BrowniZ for myself." Believe me, I have plenty of BrowniZ already, and am willing to donate to someone wanting to become a paid member. I just want to keep the glossary as clean and useful to the community as possible, and (sorry), I trust only myself to do that.

[Edited at 2008-02-20 22:41]
Collapse

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary -How-to Feb 20, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:
I just want to keep the glossary as clean and useful to the community as possible, and (sorry), I trust only myself to do that.

Maybe ProZ.com should post a set of simple rules to follow when making glossary entries. And also give priority to answerers to do it.
Thanks!
Virginia.

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Make comments or get comments? Feb 20, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

The easiest way to earn BrowniZ is to do as John Jory mentions: submit comments (agree/disagree/neutral) on other people's KudoZ answers.

I just have this doubt and I didn´t find it clear enough in the Browniz FAQs. Do I also get points if I submit comments (agree/disagree) or only if my suggestions get agree comments?
Gracias!
Virginia.

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Both Feb 20, 2008

Hi Virginia,

You get 3 BrowniZ points ever time you agree/disagree/add a neutral comment to someone else's answer.
If you have already suggested an answer and somebody else agrees, you don't get extra BrowniZ points but there is obviously more support for your answer being chosen as the best solution and therefore earning KudoZ points instead.

Hope this helps.

Vicky

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
See Site Rules, Kudoz Asking rule 2.7 Feb 21, 2008

Interesting--according to the site rules, it is the asker who is expected to make the glossary entry.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_asking

That doesn't take away from Jenny's point. An asker could, if s/he wished, give an answerer a little time, and then make an
... See more
Interesting--according to the site rules, it is the asker who is expected to make the glossary entry.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_asking

That doesn't take away from Jenny's point. An asker could, if s/he wished, give an answerer a little time, and then make an entry if the answerer does not.
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can change a glossary entry Feb 21, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

... So I do it myself to be sure it goes into the glossary in correct format. Also, I sometimes want to include two or more options, suggested by different answerers; if I wait and let the answerer make the glossary entry, she will probably enter just her own.

AFAIK, the poster always has access to the glossary entry of his/her posting. If you are not happy with the entry made by an answerer, you can change it at any time.

Greetings, John

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'll try it! Feb 21, 2008

John Jory wrote:

AFAIK, the poster always has access to the glossary entry of his/her posting. If you are not happy with the entry made by an answerer, you can change it at any time.

Greetings, John

Thanks, John! I'll try it. I must sound so-o-o-o arrogant. I can only hope that my fellow translators can understand and forgive a perfectionist.

Next time I ask a question, I'll close it and give the answerer 24 hours to make a glossary entry. I promise! (I reserve the right to tweak it.)

Thanks for the info.

Jane

Virginia Feinmann
Virginia Feinmann
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
About Browniz... Feb 21, 2008

John Jory wrote:

That's good to know, John! Does it give you Browniz too?
Best!
Vir.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BrowniZ points?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »