Rate filter in ProZ notification options
Thread poster: Jonathan Sanders (X)
Jonathan Sanders (X)
Jonathan Sanders (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Mar 14, 2008

I have a question/suggestion which I'm sure is not original, but I feel that it must be stated yet again:

Is there any way to filter jobs below a certain rate? And if there is not, why isn't there?

I am (as a very witty Spaniard remarked) "hasta la peineta" with ads offering rates like $.04/word. That was already too low of a rate before the American economic recession. Now it makes me wonder why don't they just ask you what corner you work on and if you're looking f
... See more
I have a question/suggestion which I'm sure is not original, but I feel that it must be stated yet again:

Is there any way to filter jobs below a certain rate? And if there is not, why isn't there?

I am (as a very witty Spaniard remarked) "hasta la peineta" with ads offering rates like $.04/word. That was already too low of a rate before the American economic recession. Now it makes me wonder why don't they just ask you what corner you work on and if you're looking for a new pimp?

That being said, I'm a libertarian. I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want with their body, translation skills, or lack thereof. If these rates are published, and someone takes it, that's their business. But why should I have to waste time filtering through, viewing, and deleting job offers that are just as meaningless as they would be if they were for languages I don't speak? Taking a $.03/word job would actually cost me money, and I know I'm not the only one. So why is it that this filter, which is just as essential as a language-specific filter, seemingly does not exist yet?

Just a thought.
Collapse

Andre Pellet (X)
Andre Pellet (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
Filter for Job Posts Mar 14, 2008

Jonathan,

Good suggestion - this is something we are working on now because it is not currently available. We are currently approaching this from two sides:

1) Expanding the way rates are supported on ProZ.com so that you can define your rates at more detailed levels (if you wish to do so).

2) Filters you can define so that you will not be bothered by Job posts which fall under a specific threshold.

This has been a *big* request from many user
... See more
Jonathan,

Good suggestion - this is something we are working on now because it is not currently available. We are currently approaching this from two sides:

1) Expanding the way rates are supported on ProZ.com so that you can define your rates at more detailed levels (if you wish to do so).

2) Filters you can define so that you will not be bothered by Job posts which fall under a specific threshold.

This has been a *big* request from many users, and I think the solution will cut down on many of the "uninteresting" offers.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andre
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate filter in ProZ notification options

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »