https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/99983-when_to_post_a_negative_blueboard_rating.html

When to post a negative BlueBoard rating?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:21
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

At what point do you post a negative BlueBoard rating?

For the first time in 14 years, I am having problems collecting payment.
Over 60 days ago I completed two jobs for a total of several thousand dollars for a European agency with more than 100 positive "5" ratings on the BlueBoard.

There is no issue with quality since the agency has contacted me to do more work during this time period and then once again last week when I was finally able to contact them.
... See more

For the first time in 14 years, I am having problems collecting payment.
Over 60 days ago I completed two jobs for a total of several thousand dollars for a European agency with more than 100 positive "5" ratings on the BlueBoard.

There is no issue with quality since the agency has contacted me to do more work during this time period and then once again last week when I was finally able to contact them.

After several unanswered reminder notices, I received an e-mail in which they promised to pay me by the end of the week. The week has come and gone and no payment. On Monday, I sent another e-mail and asked what they meant when they stated I would be paid by the end of the week (were they paying electronically or issuing a check at the end of the week). This e-mail was read, but no response was sent.

[Edited at 2008-03-18 14:11]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hm, what did they say on the phone? Mar 18, 2008

Did you call them?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
When the episode is completely over Mar 18, 2008

... or you believe that it might be.

To reply to your original question, I think Blue Board ratings should only be made when you think the whole thing is over - you've either finally received payment of you've lost all hope of ever receiving payment. Otherwise this leads to comments going back and forth between client and Blue Board poster - things like "we're having some accounting problems but we'll sort them out" or "I called them several times but accountant is not there", or "t
... See more
... or you believe that it might be.

To reply to your original question, I think Blue Board ratings should only be made when you think the whole thing is over - you've either finally received payment of you've lost all hope of ever receiving payment. Otherwise this leads to comments going back and forth between client and Blue Board poster - things like "we're having some accounting problems but we'll sort them out" or "I called them several times but accountant is not there", or "the cheque is in the post" etc., all of which can be very confusing for other people checking the Blue Board.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
French to English
Well, given what it represents Mar 18, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Is the BB grade not designed to represent your likelihood of working for them again (assuming work is offered)?

So, I would say, once you feel that the chances are slim, I would guess that would be the time to do it.

To be fair, it is possible that invoices over a certain amount require additional levels of approval higher up the food chain, which perhaps some underling has failed to realise. It would still be nice if they told you this, though.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:21
English to German
+ ...
As soon as you can reasonably judge LWA Mar 18, 2008

Hi Jeff,
The numerical level denotes your likelihood of working again for that particular outsourcer - as soon as you can reasonably judge that, post your entry.

After several unanswered reminder notices, I received an e-mail in which they promised to pay me by the end of the week. The week has come and gone and no payment. On Monday, I sent another e-mail and asked what they meant when they stated I would be paid by the end of the week (were they paying electronically or issuing a check at the end of the week). This e-mail was read, but no response was sent.

Definitely time to post an entry, in my view.

Best regards,
Ralf

chandan mishra
chandan mishra  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
English to Hindi
+ ...
When to post a negative BlueBoard rating? Mar 18, 2008

Hi jeff.
Blue Board rating tool should be used after finishing the project to demonstrate
if you are willing to work again and happy with dealing of companies or not.In case you have submitted your translation and even after due date company is not paying
or refusing to communicate with you on payment issue you must enter negative blue board rating for that company.

I am also a victim of a canada based company who did not communicate with me after submission of pro
... See more
Hi jeff.
Blue Board rating tool should be used after finishing the project to demonstrate
if you are willing to work again and happy with dealing of companies or not.In case you have submitted your translation and even after due date company is not paying
or refusing to communicate with you on payment issue you must enter negative blue board rating for that company.

I am also a victim of a canada based company who did not communicate with me after submission of project showing companies bad intention.After due period I made a negative entry for that company.

Chandan
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:21
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can tell when they are bad payers Mar 18, 2008

After 4 years of full time freelance translation work, I can tell when I have met a bad payer. All my good clients at present just pay whenever they have to. In 4 years I have realized that a bad payer is that one who you have to remind about your payment. If they make any excuse or claim that the payment has been done, I don't hesitate and post a negative rating and comment. After all, we have the option of modifying the rating and comment accordingly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When to post a negative BlueBoard rating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »