Only members can post in this forum

Full / Partial membership. What's your experience?
Thread poster: Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2007

Hi everyone,

Could any proZian share opinion, experience, etc. on this matter?

(I know I could read the offical proz explanation, but I'd rather read opinions from other translators..)

Thank you.

Gabbi Ancarola

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My opinion Sep 6, 2007

Gabi Ancarola wrote:
Could any proZian share opinion, experience, etc. on this matter?

You mileage will vary, I think.

Personally, I get about twice as many job offers through my profile now that I'm a platinum member. I also like the fact that I can read the Blue Board entries -- although it hasn't saved my bacon yet, it has helped me with decisions about new clients (but so does the Payment Practices site).

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Sep 6, 2007

so, if I understand correctly, partial members (not just users, I mean) get less job offers than full members and also have restrictions for the blue board just as a user -who does not pay-

Thank you

Gabi

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It depends Sep 6, 2007

so, if I understand correctly, partial members (not just users, I mean) get less job offers than full members and also have restrictions for the blue board just as a user -who does not pay-

If you are jobs partial member you can have all the benefits of the full ones concerning the job area but are restricted in kudoz and are vetted when posting in the fora,
if you are a community partial member you are restricted in the jobs area but not in the kudoz and are not vetted when posting.

Not sure what kind of partial membership allows checking the BB, (probably the jobs one) but you can use your browniz for checking them, even if you are only a user.
There is an explanation here http://www.proz.com/join

Ciao!

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was really clear! Sep 6, 2007

Thank you

Gabi

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
t'was great Sep 7, 2007

it took me a couple of years to go platinum. and it's been great to become one... got more clients and almost more jobs than i can handle.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Well worth my full membership Sep 7, 2007

Hi Gabi,

Personally I think I have never got a job offer through my profile.

However, I bid on one job when I first joined over a year ago. That one job has paid for my membership for a good few years to come and I have worked with the agency on a regular basis since.

Everyone's experience is different, but personally mine has been nothing but positive.

Regards,

Kathryn

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Better ranking Sep 7, 2007

Hi Gabi,
First I was a partial member too because I thought it was enough for me to check the Blueboard. But when I was aware that there were so many other features I became a full member. Besides of jobs I got by bidding: observing the visitors of my profile is a real good marketing tool for me. Now I know which search terms lead to my profile. E.g. "translator Holland" or a mix of 2 languages "Translator Niederlande" came from Google.com and previous visits and Tabs viewed. This
... See more
Hi Gabi,
First I was a partial member too because I thought it was enough for me to check the Blueboard. But when I was aware that there were so many other features I became a full member. Besides of jobs I got by bidding: observing the visitors of my profile is a real good marketing tool for me. Now I know which search terms lead to my profile. E.g. "translator Holland" or a mix of 2 languages "Translator Niederlande" came from Google.com and previous visits and Tabs viewed. This is very valuable for me. Some direct clients found me via my profile, because I got a high ranking in search engines. This is because Proz has a high ranking.
I wasn't aware of the fact that agencies use the directory search frequently in combination with a specialization in your case it could be in combination with WINE or FOOD and if you have earned some Kudoz points you get a better position.
Muchos saludos de Holanda
Estefanía
Collapse

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hola Estefanía Sep 7, 2007

Tuliparola wrote:

Hi Gabi,
(...) Some direct clients found me via my profile, because I got a high ranking in search engines. This is because Proz has a high ranking.
I wasn't aware of the fact that agencies use the directory search frequently in combination with a specialization in your case it could be in combination with WINE or FOOD and if you have earned some Kudoz points you get a better position.
Muchos saludos de Holanda
Estefanía

All info you've given me is extremely useful, thanks!

And thanks to all prozians for giving some insight.

Gabi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Full / Partial membership. What's your experience?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »