Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 22, 2008

A few days ago the design of the front page changed once again. Now there is a thumbnail of the poster in the name column. As a result the whole box is stretching twice its former length.
This is now good idea. Please get rid of these thumbnails.

In relation to this box (which is the only part of the proz homepage that interests me) there have been two suggestions as long as I can remember.

1. When selecting the link "Show more recent postings" the same postings are shown again, only after clicking further to page two the older postings are shown. This is stupid. In stead the link should allow to go straight to page two, three, four of the recent postings list. (go to page 2. 3. 4...)

2. For threads that stretch over more than one page, there should be a link to page 2, 3...). So when you know that you have already read the first page, you could save one click and the loading of the whole first page.

These improvements would avoid unnecessary traffic.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
You are right Mar 22, 2008

Even though my first thought was "oh, pictures, nice...", I do get your point and I actually agree. The good thing about the recent postings box was the quick overview about what's happening. With pictures included, it mostly burns down to scrolling, which is not very ergonomic.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Mar 22, 2008

I don't mind the scrolling, but I find the pictures rather distracting, especially in the KudoZ section.

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
agree Mar 22, 2008

not a good idea at all

Colin Brady
Local time: 15:26
SITE STAFF
Removed thumbnails Mar 23, 2008

Hi All,

I added the thumbnail images on the homepage for everyone as I thought they might be useful for others, as I find them extremely useful. This does not seem to be the case, so I've removed them.

Thanks for posting!

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:26
Japanese to English
D'OH! Thanks, Colin. Mar 23, 2008

Just wanted to say that I, for one, really liked having the thumbnails there.
I already knew I was in the minority, though, following a similar recent thread about the "cramped" new look of the homepage, which I found infinitely preferable, actually....
Oh well, you can't please all of the people all of the time, but thanks for trying.
Your hard work is appreciated.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 14:26
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Really didn't particularly care one way or another... Mar 23, 2008

...but I do see the point; there's a lot of stuff on that home page.

KathyT wrote:

Oh well, you can't please all of the people all of the time, but thanks for trying.
Your hard work is appreciated.

Ditto to that, KathyT. As others have said: I don't know of any other site that is so responsive to user input regarding not only the content but also the design of the site. I appreciate you, Site Staff! And Moderators, too.

Jane

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for action, Colin Mar 24, 2008

I would not mind, if those thumbies would really add informational value, but as they are small, they are mostly not recognisable in this respect. The name of the poster is sufficient, I think.

But there were other points in my initial posting. The link "More recent postings" does not fulfill its promise, the first page shows the same groups of postings as the front page box, numbers 1-20 in my case.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No thumbnails please in recent postings box

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs