Mobile menu

Recognition for help given on technical issues
Thread poster: David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
French to English
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before or not and my apologies if it has.
KudoZ points are given to translators providing help in translating a term or phrase. There seems to be no recognition, however, for those giving regular help or advice in the technical or other forums.
As some clients use KudoZ points to flag translators for further qualification, perhaps there should be some sort of points awarding system for providing technical help as well?

Best regards,
David

Direct link Reply with quote

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
German to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 25, 2008

I've been grateful for help provided.

Call them 'Geekz' or 'Techiz'

Cheers
Chris

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 25, 2008

It would be nice to be able to give more than just thanks (although I like being thanked too - not in this context though, because I'm always the one looking for help - either directly or by reading up previous consults). I like Chris' suggestions!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or included as browniZ points? Mar 25, 2008

Textklick wrote:
Call them 'Geekz' or 'Techiz'

That's a good suggestion. I guess such help could also be ncluded somehow in the "brownie points" system but I can see the difficulty in distinguishing genuine support-line type "help" from mere opinions or views in the help/discussion forums.

David

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:50
German to English
Edited post Mar 25, 2008

Sorry, but I don't think the idea I originally posted here was that good after all.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 13:49]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No need Mar 25, 2008

I try to help with technical issues sometimes, but I don't need points for that. The thing is, KudoZ points are related to translation. Technical stuff isn't, not necessarily anyway. And I don't feel I need to be rewarded for everything I do. A simple 'thank you' is good enough for me.

To reduce the constant need for technical help, I would like to have some sort of searchable database for common problems.
I've given up counting all the times people have asked about 'Hidden text', for example. If there was a database that would lead people to all the forum threads this has been discussed in in the past, that would be useful (and save us all time).

Now I know there is the option 'Forum search' , but obviously, that is not being used as it should be....

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Sticky topics Mar 25, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

To reduce the constant need for technical help, I would like to have some sort of searchable database for common problems.
I've given up counting all the times people have asked about 'Hidden text', for example. If there was a database that would lead people to all the forum threads this has been discussed in in the past, that would be useful (and save us all time).

Now I know there is the option 'Forum search' , but obviously, that is not being used as it should be....

Sticky topics for commonly asked questions have been suggested/requested on several occasions, and are supposedly in the pipeline...
http://www.proz.com/post/582748#582748

(Notice you gave your "agree" there too, Margreet!)

[Edited at 2008-03-25 13:59]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Let's hope so... (@Marie-Hélène) Mar 25, 2008

Hi Marie-Hélène,

yes, I remember that topic. Thought it wouldn't hurt to point out this issue once again
I just feel a lot of questions would not be posted if people knew better how to effectively make use of all the knowledge and tips already available in the forums...

Let's just hope ProZ.com staff will come up with some good solution!

Greetings from the Netherlands under snow (and rain, but I try to ignore that)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't suppose those helping need anything either... Mar 25, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:
I try to help with technical issues sometimes, but I don't need points for that ... A simple 'thank you' is good enough for me.

... but I have noticed that the same questions do seem to come up time and time again and it's often the same ones giving the answers, and quite often they don't even get a 'thanks'!

David

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:20
English to French
+ ...
That bothers me, too Mar 25, 2008

David Turner wrote:

d quite often they don't even get a 'thanks'!

[/quote]

I have had to convince myself several times not to post a thread to bring this to people's attention. I have helped people many times, and I know that some topics come back week after week and that often, people don't bother looking up the subject in the forum search and just lazily post a new thread, and I often still help them. I don't mind not getting any points for this - it already helps my karma, so points are not necessary. But I often get no reply to my (often lengthy and detailed) posts. What bothers me is not that I am not thanked - I would just like to know how it worked out. Reading a post in which the user explains that they used my solution and it worked (saved them time, helped them to fix something that was broken, etc.) makes me feel good, and more importantly, motivates me to help them again. Reading a post where my proposed solution was not used but another was found and used with success helps me and other site users in turn. Not seeing any follow-up post makes me feel like my help is not appreciated and that that particular site user didn't really need help. Why did you post, then? Why do you bother well-intentioned people (who often take the time to seach the net for you and engage in technical writing for you) if you can't even post a one-liner saying "Hey! It worked!"?

Points and recognition are not so important. What IS important is to recognize that we are human beings and that our time is as precious as yours. A simple "Tada!" could often do the trick.

To those who have helped me in the past, thanks again! To those whom I've helped and who have replied, you're most welcome - keep the questions coming (but please run a forum search first).

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Geek > English, English > Geek ? Mar 25, 2008

At least the translation of error messages into any human language could already be handled with the current system..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognition for help given on technical issues

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs