https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/1016-abuse_of_the_kudoz_facility.html

Abuse of the KudoZ facility
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2002

Apparently, at least one member has left or been thrown out of the Dutch>English SC because of abusing the KudoZ system.

Let this be a lesson to anyone else that feels that they are not up to the task of gaining translation assignments purely on their own merit, and feel the need to help their profile by amassing KudoZ points gained by posting queries from \"phantom askers\" who in reality were themselves or their friends.

Are these people sad or what??
... See more
Apparently, at least one member has left or been thrown out of the Dutch>English SC because of abusing the KudoZ system.

Let this be a lesson to anyone else that feels that they are not up to the task of gaining translation assignments purely on their own merit, and feel the need to help their profile by amassing KudoZ points gained by posting queries from \"phantom askers\" who in reality were themselves or their friends.

Are these people sad or what??

At least the honourable members of our SC know that when they are awarded KudoZ points, they have been awarded as a result of a fair evaluation of the answer submitted.

How much time and effort contributed by the SC members has been wasted trying to establish an accurate answer to a query, often resulting in \"blood on the keyboard\", only now to discover that all may have been in vain as the \"answerer\" was already predetermined?

Would it not be an idea to make the registration of anyone wishing to post a query compulsory?

It does not take long, especially if they have \"Gator\" or similar, and is not much to ask, especially when you consider that many sites require you to \"log in\" to view their products that they want you to BUY. Remember this is a FREE service!

I am sure that many of my fellow members are now reluctant to attempt to answer queries from \"anonymous\" or \"made up names\" postings. Often the points are either never awarded, or they are awarded unjustly.

Yes, in spite of what the persons at which this posting is directed think, we at the Dutch>English SC were not born yesterday. We do notice when patterns start to emerge.

Please do not subject yourselves to the indignity of being thrown out of the ProZ site. OK you may be able to register again in a \"phantom name\" but be honest, what use would that be? the damage will have already been done!!

Dave Greatrix.
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
This person wasn't merely 'abusing' the system Jan 13, 2002

he was a fraud.

The person concerned has been tossed for posting hundreds of questions in several language pairs using I don\'t recall how many different names and grading his answers afterwards.

OK, this made him maybe 1000 KudoZ points and gave him a very prominent place in the top ten for the last three months/last month.

Other than that, he graded his answers 4 even when his own answer was simply wrong and other -correct- answers were poste
... See more
he was a fraud.

The person concerned has been tossed for posting hundreds of questions in several language pairs using I don\'t recall how many different names and grading his answers afterwards.

OK, this made him maybe 1000 KudoZ points and gave him a very prominent place in the top ten for the last three months/last month.

Other than that, he graded his answers 4 even when his own answer was simply wrong and other -correct- answers were posted. This reflects on the glossaries as well.

No need to say I felt extremely annoyed when I realized I had spent so much time and money in answering some of that guy\'s questions.

On top of that, in doing all this he may have received jobs he didn\'t deserve, and that\'s what made some people rightfully really angry.

Anyhow, please note that ProZ is now scrutinizing other people\'s postings and answers as well by checking a.o. the IP addresses.

I\'m afraid (read: \'already convinced\') this will lead to more members being tossed/expelled, but I can\'t say I feel depressed about that.

Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bon vent i barca nova! Jan 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-13 11:35, jazyk wrote:

Anyhow, please note that ProZ is now scrutinizing other people\'s postings and answers as well by checking a.o. the IP addresses.

I\'m afraid (read: \'already convinced\') this will lead to more members being tossed/expelled, but I can\'t say I feel depressed about that.

That means \"Good wind and new boat!\", i.e., good riddance. I just want ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-13 11:35, jazyk wrote:

That means \"Good wind and new boat!\", i.e., good riddance. I just want to say how glad I am at this news. It was about time. ▲ Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 15:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Are we permitted to know who he was? Jan 14, 2002

I try not to answer questions posted by frauds (but don\'t always succeed...). I would like to know whether I have wasted any effort on this charlatan. Thanks.
[addsig]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:01
English to Spanish
New abuse? Jan 15, 2002

Today in Spanish>English; seventeen questions in a row about simple telecommunications terms by the same person which hardly has any information on his/her profile.

Could this be that famous 16000 words/400 euros job sequel? If it is, they sure are getting their money\'s worth

Cheers,

Rossana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abuse of the KudoZ facility

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »