Mobile menu

Selection process for Quick Poll suggestions should be more transparent
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2008

This site is normally excellent at giving feedback to its users, but there's one area where I feel as if suggestions are dropped into a bottomless pit, from which they are spat out seemingly at random.
I'm talking about Quick Poll suggestions. When you suggest a quick poll, you're told it will be submitted for approval. The FAQs say that they're reviewed by staff members and queued up if approved. But nowhere is it stated on what basis Poll suggestions are approved or rejected, or indeed how long it's likely to take - in my own experience, if your poll is approved you're likely to see it appear within a few days or so - if not, then you'll never see it or hear anything about it again...

I think this process should be made more transparent. On a number of occasions other users have mentioned a poll suggestion that they made but which seemed not to have been approved, and they didn't know why - and they would have been very interesting and relevant polls too, in my opinion. Not to mention my own (obviously marvellous) suggestions that have disappeared without trace.

There are a couple of ways this could be done:

1) Provide feedback to users suggesting polls - we usually find out anyway if our poll does get approved because it's up there for all to see and answer, but it would be nice to know if a suggestion failed to make the grade, and especially why.

2) Get poll suggestions approved by a panel of Proz members - we're the ones who use this site, so we probably have the best feel for what makes an interesting poll topic. Of course, the panel would then have to provide feedback as above.

3) Possibly taking things a little too far, but there could be a "pre-poll poll" - in the poll section, there could be a list of incoming suggestions (questions without the suggested answers) and a "would you be interested in this poll? Yes/No" response. The majority view would prevail after a given number (say 50 or 100) of users had answered. This would be the most democratic method, and also has the advantage that no feedback would be needed - if your suggestion disappeared, it'd be because not enough people considered it interesting, simple as that.

[Edited at 2008-04-16 15:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I fully agree with you Apr 16, 2008

Good evening, Marie-Hélène,

Yes, I fully agree with you on this topic. I find the present secrecy about the approval procedure most offputting.

For the record, I once proposed a poll and it was up there within hours or less. On another occasion I proposed three polls (which would belong together in sequence, but could be spread out over a period of time) and the first one in the series suddenly appeared a long time later - I think somewhere between six months and a year later. I also have a vague recollection of having proposed one right in the beginning, when the polls started, that I never heard any more about. I have no recollection what the subject of it was.

I very much like your third idea. I really hope that it can be taken up.

Astrid

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
French to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 16, 2008

Yes, I think so too - it is very disheartening to post a suggestion and then hear nothing. People often say in the forums, "Oh, that would make a good topic for a poll", but then you never see it up there. Feedback on selection criteria would definitely be welcome. I raised this in a forum a while ago and pointed out that you might also miss your poll if you happened to be away when it was on - which would be very frustrating, as you don't get advance notice.

More information please Proz staff!

[Edited at 2008-04-16 22:06]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Half a year Apr 17, 2008

My poll came out more than half a year after I suggested it, but then I noticed I was not interested anymore or that I should have put the question otherwise.
There should be a list of all polls scheduled so at least you no when to watch for your own poll.
But I feel everything reasonable has already been put through these polls by now.

Regards
Heinrich

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
I agree Apr 17, 2008

I agree with Marie-Hélène. Could a moderator please explain how poll topics are selected and why some (including one of mine suggested over a year ago) are neglected or rejected ?
Regards,
Jenny

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Another agree Apr 17, 2008

I agree. I've been wondering about this for a while too.
Thanks for bringing it up, Marie-Hélène.

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Poll selection criteria Apr 17, 2008

Hi All,

When selecting a poll we try to ensure that:

- The subject matter will be appealing to the majority of site users
- A similar or identical question has not been asked within previous months
- The follow-up discussion will be enriching
- The question and answers can be phrased in a way which enables a concise, "complete" poll
- The question is in line with the site rules.

Generally, polls which meet these criteria eventually make it to the homepage.

I would like to point out that all suggested polls are considered, regardless of the date on which they were proposed.

As regards your suggestions Marie-Hélène Hayles

1) Provide feedback to users suggesting polls - we usually find out anyway if our poll does get approved because it's up there for all to see and answer, but it would be nice to know if a suggestion failed to make the grade, and especially why.

The sheer number of suggested polls makes individual feedback difficult. We will work to improve on this.

2) Get poll suggestions approved by a panel of Proz members - we're the ones who use this site, so we probably have the best feel for what makes an interesting poll topic. Of course, the panel would then have to provide feedback as above.

This is very close to what already happens since polls do come from members, and we are able to ascertain interest by the number of polls that come in around a certain theme and the amount of exchange a certain theme generates.

3) Possibly taking things a little too far,

I agree, this would be going too far.

I hope you understand that due to the large number of polls suggested (there are currently 1700 suggested polls from site members for consideration), it is not always possible to post a poll immediately.

Site staff does their best to provide a variety of polls based on the pool of suggested quick polls.

Warm regards
Romina

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply, Romina. Apr 21, 2008

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selection process for Quick Poll suggestions should be more transparent

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs