Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Piling up brownieZ
Thread poster: Rick Henry

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2002

This probably isn\'t on the top of anyone\'s list, but...

The last couple of days I\'ve noticed an individual obviously trying to pile up brownieZ. Since s/he is not a paying member, I\'m assuming it\'s to eventually bid on jobs.

While I appreciate people agreeing on my answers (if indeed it\'s a helpful answer), I think it\'s wrong to just blindly go down the list of all answerers agreeing. It would be nice to have some way to limit the number of \"agrees\" by one person per answer. I don\'t necessarily think it should be one \"agree\" per person - there have been instances where I (or someone else) agreed on an answer, only to see a more suitable answer later on.

Any suggestions on how this could be better controlled?



R.

==


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
I click on the agree Jan 15, 2002

To second your thoughts. It would be very complicated, but as paying members don\'t need browniZ to bid, perhaps there could be a limit of one agree per question for non-paying members, but unlimited for paying ones, since, as you say, we can all change our minds about an answer after we see a better one. However, at least you\'d know with paying members that it\'s genuine. However, that wouldn\'t stop people from agreeing willly-nilly with anything to get the points. Which logically leads me onto suggesting that bids change to being for paying members only or at 1 dollar per bid (no browniz points could be used to \"pay\") in order to prevent this kind of abuse in the kudoz system.

So far, all the postings I\'ve read this evening are concerned with site abuse (and I\'m going through them in strict order from top to bottom). Such a pity that a few can ruin things for everybody.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alison Schwitzgebel
Germany
Local time: 13:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Same thing is happening to DE-EN Kudoz today Jan 17, 2002

Someone is just going down the list and agreeing to all of the answers - even the ones that are obviously wrong. Piling up the browniz.....



Just checked their profile - they don\'t even offer German or English in their language pair!!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-17 17:16 ]



Just checked under find a pro - no Kudoz, but more than one thousand browniz Uh-Oh....



BTW, I\'m editing this myself....

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-17 17:21 ]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
agree = Browniez? Jan 17, 2002

I wasn\'t even aware that you can earn Browniez just by agreeing to someone\'s answer. Cheap trick of agreeing to everyone\'s answer. Make up your mind, Billy Bob!



Which one is it, Alison? I\'ll simply squash the entire question if there\'s anything of this sort and kindly ask the asker to repost or choose an aswer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 13:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
the same thing is happening elsewhere.... Jan 17, 2002

... in the Spanish/English community, peer grades across the board for every answer proposed to a question, posted by a person who doesn\'t even list English as a working language.



I noticed this on several questions (and I only looked at a sampling).



Unless this type of abuse can be controlled, I\'m with Nikki: get rid of the \"BrowniZ for Bids\" option.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's not punish the innocent. Jan 17, 2002

Quote:


On 2002-01-15 22:32, Amara wrote:

To second your thoughts. It would be very complicated, but as paying members don\'t need browniZ to bid, perhaps there could be a limit of one agree per question for non-paying members, but unlimited for paying ones, since, as you say, we can all change our minds about an answer after we see a better one. However, at least you\'d know with paying members that it\'s genuine. However, that wouldn\'t stop people from agreeing willly-nilly with anything to get the points. Which logically leads me onto suggesting that bids change to being for paying members only or at 1 dollar per bid (no browniz points could be used to \"pay\") in order to prevent this kind of abuse in the kudoz system.





Nikki, I agree that something has to be done, but I can\'t see taking away some of the value of Browniz from people who have come by theirs honestly. I\'d support ceasing to award them for peer grading before ceasing to accept them as bid payment.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non paying members and their ability to place bids. Jan 17, 2002

One of things that always bugged me about Aquarius was that you had to be a paying member to bid. I don\'t think that proZ should repeat that model. We need to have some sort of way for non-payers to be able to place a bid on a job. Maybe Nikki\'s suggestion of limiting brownieZ is worth looking into.



R.

==

Quote:


On 2002-01-17 20:34, luisafern wrote:

...



Unless this type of abuse can be controlled, I\'m with Nikki: get rid of the \"BrowniZ for Bids\" option.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Good idea Jon Jan 18, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-01-17 22:39, Jon Zuber wrote:

Quote:


Nikki, I agree that something has to be done, but I can\'t see taking away some of the value of Browniz from people who have come by theirs honestly. I\'d support ceasing to award them for peer grading before ceasing to accept them as bid payment.



Yes, that\'s a good idea. I know it\'s not fair to ask everyone to pay. But how would people get the Browniz?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
How Browniz are baked. Jan 18, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-01-18 06:52, Amara wrote:

Quote:


On 2002-01-17 22:39, Jon Zuber wrote:

Quote:


Nikki, I agree that something has to be done, but I can\'t see taking away some of the value of Browniz from people who have come by theirs honestly. I\'d support ceasing to award them for peer grading before ceasing to accept them as bid payment.



Yes, that\'s a good idea. I know it\'s not fair to ask everyone to pay. But how would people get the Browniz?





Well, first of all I don\'t really like that idea either; I\'m just saying I dislike it less than not taking them for bids. Another reason not to make that change is that it\'s awfully soon. It makes a bad impression to keep changing the rules. As for how people get Browniz, click on your own Browniz total and you\'ll go to a page that lays out what actions earn Browniz and how many for each.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Thanks Jon - learn something new every day Jan 18, 2002

Quote:


As for how people get Browniz, click on your own Browniz total and you\'ll go to a page that lays out what actions earn Browniz and how many for each.





I was wrong thinking that you got 10 browniz for agreeing/diasgreeing, you only get 3. Despite that fact, it\'s still over half my total. Very interesting info. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Eep —let's think about what else earns Browniz ... Jan 18, 2002

Glossary entries, for one. I bet if people aren\'t filling \"glossaries\" with gibberish now, they soon will be. In fact, anything that gives out Browniz automatically is going to be abused.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rusinterp  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
It may be dangerous going down this road... Jan 19, 2002

Dear colleagues, if we try to limit people\'s ability to place a bid on a job unless they fork over a rather considerable amount of money first, what is the difference between us and Aquarius? I don\'t know about other languages, but in my pairs the agree/disagree option (and one does not have to agree, mind you, there is always the possibility of giving out one \"agree\" and a number of \"neutrals\") frequently sparks a vivid and interesting discussion. It\'s like saying, the terrorists blew up two planes, let\'s arrest everybody now regardless of whether they are guilty or not!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

flaviofbg
Spain
Local time: 13:59
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Beware non-paying! Jan 20, 2002

Hi there!



I fully agree about the fact that some people is getting BrowniZ in the strangest ways ever. Nonetheless, I still sort of feel some kind of weird paternalism from some paying members to non-paying ones.



Yes, some of us are non-paying (how shameful!). This does not always mean we are non-professionals looking manicly for BrowniZ in order to get bids and bids and bids... let\'s just not generalize.



Now it\'ll seem that people with lots of BrowniZ are just cheaters! What could I say? I have got 17956 (I had 18500, but some spent to bid, unsuccessfully) after translating 60% of proz.com into Catalan.



Yes, there are other ways to get BrowniZ.



Regards,



Flavio


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Browniz for glossary Jan 24, 2002




On 2002-01-18 21:28, Jon Zuber wrote:

Glossary entries, for one. I bet if people aren\'t filling \"glossaries\" with gibberish now, they soon will be. In fact, anything that gives out Browniz automatically is going to be abused.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have noticed \"gibberish\" in the FR>EN and EN>FR glossaries. It could be that the answers chosen were really unfortunate choices, but it is even moreunfortunate that the entries went through. Now we have some very unreliable definitions. An example is \"toe-kick space\". The answer is a good description but it is not the best definition

Do we need to check the glossaries before accepting to award the corresponding points? What a huge job!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michael Sebold
Canada
Local time: 07:59
German to English
+ ...
Moreover Feb 19, 2002

Quote:


On 2002-01-18 21:28, Jon Zuber wrote:

Glossary entries, for one. I bet if people aren\'t filling \"glossaries\" with gibberish now, they soon will be. In fact, anything that gives out Browniz automatically is going to be abused.





As a further point, if your answer gets picked, it seems that sometimes the asker gets to enter the term into the glossary, and, I assume, collect the ten points. Something strikes just slightly unfair about that.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Piling up brownieZ

Advanced search






Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs