Suggestion: No pop-up ads in web e-mail please (Staff: \'It is not us\')
Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 01:51
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 3, 2003

Dear all,

I am not using the ProZ.com\'s web e-mail, but it seems that ProZ has recently implemented pop-up ads in the web-based e-mail system. Could you please stop that? We\'re paying $120 per year to use the system here, and why don\'t we have to have those annoying ads again?

Daisuke

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:51
SITE FOUNDER
Web-based email, hosted by everyone.net, has always had popups May 3, 2003

The web-based email that everyone.net offers on behalf of our users, free of charge (we do not make a penny), has always had popup ads--that is how they support the service.

I thought of discontinuing the service, but in a survey of members using it--platinum and non-platinum; you don\'t have to be platinum to use it--it was *very* highly reviewed (the only complaint being the lack of full support for double-byte languages).

The pages load faster, and t
... See more
The web-based email that everyone.net offers on behalf of our users, free of charge (we do not make a penny), has always had popup ads--that is how they support the service.

I thought of discontinuing the service, but in a survey of members using it--platinum and non-platinum; you don\'t have to be platinum to use it--it was *very* highly reviewed (the only complaint being the lack of full support for double-byte languages).

The pages load faster, and there is less spam than with hotmail or yahoo free web email. Plus, kudoz and job notices sent there arrive faster than those sent to hotmail or yahoo.

http://proz.mail.everyone.net
Collapse

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:51
English to Japanese
+ ...
I think this free email isn`t so bad... May 3, 2003

although it acts strage sometimes and Japanese charactor viewing problems, we all have silly adverts here and there anyway. I like to have my free proz email address. Please don`t stop it, Henry.

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 01:51
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not available in Mac May 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-03 10:33, 1964 wrote:

Note: I am mistaken about version. The feature belongs to Norton Firewall 2003 (I use a mixed Firwall+Antivirus combination)

Norton Firewall 2003

Tayfun, the function that you\'ve mentioned is only available in its Windows version. I am an enthusiastic Mac user, and people with only a few percents of share cannot enjoy that kind of features, i... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-03 10:33, 1964 wrote:

Note: I am mistaken about version. The feature belongs to Norton Firewall 2003 (I use a mixed Firwall+Antivirus combination)

Norton Firewall 2003

Tayfun, the function that you\'ve mentioned is only available in its Windows version. I am an enthusiastic Mac user, and people with only a few percents of share cannot enjoy that kind of features, including ProZ.net software!

In any case, the use of software to avoid those pop-up ads in ProZ.com is not a fundamental solution. I think that it is an attitude towards uses here.

[ This Message was edited by: daisuke on 2003-05-03 13:05]

[ This Message was edited by: daisuke on 2003-05-03 13:06] ▲ Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:51
Italian to English
Pop Up Stopper May 3, 2003

I recently installed a Pop Up Stopper from www.panicware.com (free) and it works well, though you do need to use the control key when accessing web links to stop it disabling them as well.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Pop up ads May 3, 2003

in web pages are easily blocked in Opera browser. I started using Opera few months ago and in all things it\'s a way better than Explorer. Now I use Explorer only to view sites, which doesn\'t display correctly in Opera, but they are few (some I-banks, and, of course, Microsoft itself )
[addsig]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:51
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Upgrade May 3, 2003

Hi Daisuke,

The web based e-mail doesn\'t go with platinum: it\'s a free account available to anyone, thus the ads. If you want to get rid of them I recommend upgrading to a paid everyone.net account (some $20 a year). As far as I know, ProZ.com does not offer e-mail accounts to it\'s Platinum members except with the one which comes with hosting and there is no pop-ups if you view it via Outlook or the like.

Best,

Magda

artyan
artyan
United States
Local time: 09:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Install Opera May 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-03 20:11, uldis wrote:

in web pages are easily blocked in Opera browser. I started using Opera few months ago and in all things it\'s a way better than Explorer. Now I use Explorer only to view sites, which doesn\'t display correctly in Opera, but they are few (some I-banks, and, of course, Microsoft itself )

In this... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-03 20:11, uldis wrote:

In this regard, Opera works best for me; I just press F12 and opt for not seeing pop-ups. Whenever I do need to see a pop-up window, I just switch this setting back on. This solves the matter completely.

Regards, ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: No pop-up ads in web e-mail please (Staff: \'It is not us\')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »