Nuissances...
Thread poster: SilviuM

SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 09:56
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2008

The first one is that ongoing translation of every single forum at ProZ into one's mother tongue. It's darn confusing. For instance, I click for the English-related forums and/or for the French-related ones, but they're all translated into Romanian (ie, my mother tongue), thus giving me the false impression that I'm at the Romanian section of ProZ already(!)

And as for the second, I'd have to say that this is the approval system for editing(!) your own post.
I mean, after approving the reply / comment / post to-the-thread and/or the new topic, WHY do I have to wait for approval for my own editing? I believe that the mod already saw that I'm a normal kind of poster, not a joker...

It doesn't only make this Board look a little less than asynchronous, but it's also a pain for the assigned mod.

~ S.M. ~

[Editat la 2008-06-16 22:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Forum rules and service to the members Jun 17, 2008

SilviuM wrote:
The first one is that ongoing translation of every single forum at ProZ into one's mother tongue. It's darn confusing. For instance, I click for the English-related forums and/or for the French-related ones, but they're all translated into Romanian (ie, my mother tongue), thus giving me the false impression that I'm at the Romanian section of ProZ already(!)

The site interface has been translated into several languages. Not completely, but most of the important sections are now translated.
You can set the language that you prefer to use, and once you set it, the whole site interface will appear to you in your chosen language. Once you do that, you can be in any forum, in English, French or Romanian, and the interface will always stay in that language, irrespective of what you are looking at. Just get used to this and it will not confuse you any more, but it is not a nuisance, it has been done to facilitate the site users.

SilviuM wrote:
And as for the second, I'd have to say that this is the approval system for editing(!) your own post.
I mean, after approving the reply / comment / post to-the-thread and/or the new topic, WHY do I have to wait for approval for my own editing? I believe that the mod already saw that I'm a normal kind of poster, not a joker...

It doesn't only make this Board look a little less than asynchronous, but it's also a pain for the assigned mod.

Forum postings appear immediately live for all users whose identity has been verified, whether they are paying members or non paying users. All other postings are submitted to vetting, when they are posted and also when the postings are edited.
If you think about it, anyone could post something innocent, get it approved, and then change entirely the content with editing, by-passing easily all the forum rules if they were not checked again. See the forum rules for more information.

For this reason, if the posting is made by unknown persons, i.e. users without their ID verified by the site in one of the many ways available (see VID on the FAQ section), the vetting by site staff or site moderators is necessary after any editing, which could be done for removing a typo or to change entirely the posting content.
We cannot know what has been changed and we follow the same procedure in both cases.

I hope this explains it to you. It is not done to annoy anyone but simply as a precaution to avoid advertisement, trolling and other assorted nuisances for all other forum participants.

In ProZ.com there are about 100 forums, all of them virtually free from all the usual garbage that is found in most other venues (advertisement, spamming, insults, flame wars, trolls, etc.).
You could see it as a service to the members and all readers, and not as a nuisance.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-06-17 03:09]

SilviuM
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nuissance vs Headache Jun 17, 2008

gianfranco wrote:
You could see it as a service to the members and all readers, and not as a nuisance.

Actually, is a bit of a headache.

Thanks, anyway.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Take a tablet... Jun 17, 2008

SilviuM wrote:
Actually, is a bit of a headache.

Take a tablet. Vetting posting is here to stay...
This is what keeps the forum clear from much bigger nuisances.

bye
Gianfranco

SilviuM
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Tablet... Jun 17, 2008

Thanks, I'll try Cyanide.

Bye.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes Jun 17, 2008

But please don't overdose- for the first time I'd recommend not more than 1/4 of the tablet

Uldis

SilviuM wrote:

Thanks, I'll try Cyanide.

Bye.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nuissances...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs