Mobile menu

Peer comments - some are not accurate (no suggestion)
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2002

I am puzzled at the amount of persons [ should I say "colleagues"?] who make terrible mistakes whenever they grade someone else's answers. They stubbornly disagree with perfectly correct answers and often agree with others that are not so good.

It does not only happen to me, I have seen this going on and on for weeks and months. This is not only unfair but also misleading, specially when askers are confused and do not know which answer might really help.

I am not talking about those who usually agree with their "acquaintances" or "pals". I am talking about people who really seem to think they "possess" the truth. Why is it so difficult for some people to realize that they do not know what is correct or what is not?

What do you think about this?

BSD

Direct link Reply with quote

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:58
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Some more thoughts Jan 15, 2002

Not only that, Bertha, but many seem to agree with the first answer given, when, if you go back a few hours later, there are some very good additional answers that never (or hardly ever) get peer graded. Is it that people can\'t be bothered to scroll down the page? Or is everyone anxious to get their ten points so that they can use them for bidding? In my opinion, peer grading should be taken as seriously as answering the question in the first place.

On the other hand (there are always two sides to every story) you may see one answer and think it\'s great, until you\'ve seen another (that is, of course, if you bother to go back to the question when you notice more answers have been given) and change your mind!

Well, as I said, just some more thoughts.

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:58
Italian to English
+ ...
Bad peer grading. Jan 15, 2002

I\'ve also seen this - moreso recently.

I normally shrug it off as ignorance and hope that whoever contracted them for the job in the first place realizes the quality (or lack of quality) and won\'t hire them again.

Unfortunately, these incorrect terms are then entered into the glossary. I wish I had a solution. I don\'t think that following them into the glossary and correcting them is really the answer either.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-01-15 21:36, Bertha wrote:

I am puzzled at the amount of persons [ should I say \"colleagues\"?] who make terrible mistakes whenever they grade someone else\'s answers. They stubbornly disagree with perfectly correct answers and often agree with others that are not so good.

It does not only happen to me, I have seen this going on and on for weeks and months. This is not only unfair but also misleading, specially when askers are confused and do not know which answer might really help.

I am not talking about those who usually agree with their \"acquaintances\" or \"pals\". I am talking about people who really seem to think they \"possess\" the truth. Why is it so difficult for some people to realize that they do not know what is correct or what is not?

What do you think about this?

BSD

xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Correcting 'incorrect' glossary entries Feb 16, 2002

Rick Henry

\'I don\'t think that following them into the glossary and correcting them is really the answer either\'

Is this possible?? I have also noticed the number of incorrect answers that go into the glossary. One thing is if the asker chooses an incorrect answer - as far as I\'m concerned, this is their problem, and especially if they have passed over a more correct answer - but another thing is if this incorrect term is entered into the glossary - the consequences of this are much more worrying.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
German to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Feb 16, 2002

When entering a term into the glossary, the general context should be given in ( ). Otherwise, it can be very misleading.

Trudy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Peer comments - some are not accurate (no suggestion)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs