Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

When answering a kudoz question, "Notify me of peer comments" is checked by default. I would appreciate a dashboard option where I could specify the default value of this.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Interesting. Jul 10, 2008

Why would you not wish to be notified?

After all, you are entering a forum.

Just curious.

Greetings,

Nicole

Addendum

To be more specific: If you do not wish to receive any notifications, you can simply un-check this box. Why does the Dashboard-system have to be changed, or what am I missing here?

TIA!

[Edited at 2008-07-10 14:58]

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because... Jul 10, 2008

I do not want dozens of email agree/whatever notifications, I prefer to check on my own time.
And of course, this is not about the forum, it is about terminology answers provided.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sounds reasonable Jul 10, 2008

A mailbox can get cluttered in no time.

However, you can simply click on this box, and no notifications will be sent to you. That's why I didn't understand the question.

Greetings,

Nicole

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jul 10, 2008

but clicking on it adds an extra step on the procedure and as a result the answer is published later

Is it such a strange and incomprehensible thing that I want to have a choice as to what should be the default value of certain functions?

[Edited at 2008-07-10 15:04]

Carolina Carabecho
Carolina Carabecho  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jul 11, 2008

Γεια σου Σπυρο!

συμφωνω!

I agree that sometimes the "Agree" can clutter your mail box. On the other hand, it is somewhat encouraging to see that so many people agree with you...

Regards,
Asimenia

[Edited at 2008-07-11 00:37]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:24
Spanish
+ ...
My opinion - Notifications just for neutrals/disagrees/agrees with comments Jul 11, 2008

I always uncheck the 'Comments notifications' box because of the reasons stated above, all the EMPTY agrees create a lot of clutter. A few months ago, there was a debate about forum politeness and whether we should thank all the agree-ers or not. The problem is that some people seem to take that kind of behavior very seriously.

I purposely try not
... See more
I always uncheck the 'Comments notifications' box because of the reasons stated above, all the EMPTY agrees create a lot of clutter. A few months ago, there was a debate about forum politeness and whether we should thank all the agree-ers or not. The problem is that some people seem to take that kind of behavior very seriously.

I purposely try not to thank anyone because it takes a lot of time to thank each one of the agree-ers and it actually doesn't add anything to the discussion. I am grateful a colleague took his/her time to agree (and earn some browniZ) but I think that goes without saying, and like Vito Smolej said, the disagrees are just as useful.

So I proposed to add another option to receive notifications just for the agrees that include a comment and therefore can contain some useful information. The asker would receive all the neutrals and disagrees by default. I think Spiros' idea is really great, all these options should be set in a dashboard area to make them a one-time setting.

[Edited at 2008-07-11 04:45]
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would like to repeat... Jul 11, 2008

That it should be an option, it is so simple to implement it and nobody is hurt by this since it does not affect the way things are now, unless one wants to affect them.

A simple option, checked or unchecked, to sent all agrees/disagrees etc or not. Let us not make it more complex (i.e. by having more options for agrees/disagrees with comments) and give more hassle to the programmers. They already have a lot of work to do.

Jared, isn't this easy to implement?

[Ed
... See more
That it should be an option, it is so simple to implement it and nobody is hurt by this since it does not affect the way things are now, unless one wants to affect them.

A simple option, checked or unchecked, to sent all agrees/disagrees etc or not. Let us not make it more complex (i.e. by having more options for agrees/disagrees with comments) and give more hassle to the programmers. They already have a lot of work to do.

Jared, isn't this easy to implement?

[Edited at 2008-07-11 12:25]
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:24
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Claudia's suggestion Jul 11, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
So I proposed to add another option to receive notifications just for the agrees that include a comment and therefore can contain some useful information.

I think this is an excellent suggestion! Fully supported.

Spiros Doikas wrote: Let us not make it more complex (i.e. by having more options for agrees/disagrees with comments) and give more hassle to the programmers. They already have a lot of work to do.

It's nice that you're thinking of the developers, Spiro. In the mean time, if you don't want to receive peer comments, can you not set your own filter in your e-mail program? I can't remember the exact wording of those e-mails, but if they include "peer comment" and "KudoZ" in the subject, it should be easy to create a filter to send them automatically to your Trash folder. That way you won't have to take the extra step which, as you say, causes your answers to be published later

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 11, 2008

For the suggestion. I am already aware for this solution but I still believe that is is better to have it as a setting here. Why? It is simple. It is easier to create it as an option once and for all, than having people, using different email clients and platforms, set up filters. It is a matter of what is more practical

Also, my suggestion, in its simplicity, is extremely easy (as far as my limited programming knowled
... See more
For the suggestion. I am already aware for this solution but I still believe that is is better to have it as a setting here. Why? It is simple. It is easier to create it as an option once and for all, than having people, using different email clients and platforms, set up filters. It is a matter of what is more practical

Also, my suggestion, in its simplicity, is extremely easy (as far as my limited programming knowledge allows me to guess) to be implemented on proz.

Moreover, the setting could also affect whether one wants the check box checked or unchecked by default when commenting on a reply.

[Edited at 2008-07-11 13:59]

[Edited at 2008-07-11 15:02]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:24
SITE STAFF
Peer comment notification option Jul 11, 2008

Hello all,

Thanks Spiro and Claudia for the ideas, and everyone for their input. I will see about adding the option to the KudoZ dashboard.

Best regards,

Jared

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 11, 2008

Thank you very much Jared for your kind and knowledgeable replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Toggle default in "Notify me of peer comments"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »