https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/114308-usd_euro_why_same_amount.html

USD/Euro - Why same amount?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 2, 2008

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to bring this up, but I was about to renew my site domain (through Proz) and I noticed I can pay either USD 10 or Euro 10. It doesn't make much difference since it's a small amount, but I wonder why pay more (if I pay in Euros) for the same product. Shouldn't a real exchange rate be used?

Cheers!

Elizabeth

Tomas Forro
Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:31
English to Slovak
+ ...
I also don't get it Sep 2, 2008

And mind you - for me as an EU citizen there is no option for USD and EURO. We just have to pay the more expensive one.

It's really unfair, especially that the US people somehow don't belong to the poorest ones.
I wouldn't mind paying more than the members from poorer countries. But why should I pay more than Americans? Is it some kind of nationalism, because proz is from US?
I'm actually really curious - which one is the "regular" price - the one in euro, or in dollars?
... See more
And mind you - for me as an EU citizen there is no option for USD and EURO. We just have to pay the more expensive one.

It's really unfair, especially that the US people somehow don't belong to the poorest ones.
I wouldn't mind paying more than the members from poorer countries. But why should I pay more than Americans? Is it some kind of nationalism, because proz is from US?
I'm actually really curious - which one is the "regular" price - the one in euro, or in dollars?

[Edited at 2008-09-02 21:28]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:31
SITE FOUNDER
An oversight Sep 3, 2008

We'll correct it.

Thanks.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Tomas, you are kidding, right? Sep 3, 2008

Tomas Forro wrote:

[Edited at 2008-09-02 21:28]

Tomas, I absolutely agree that USD and EURO fee should be charged based on the current exchange rate.

But you cannot be serious saying that US people somehow don't belong to the poorest ones. US people can be very poor, hardly making both ends meet, middle-class paying off their school loans and mortgages all their lives, not being able to afford health insurance, wealthy, very rich, filthy rich but donating millions to hospitals and museums, etc. - like any other nation in the world.

When I lived in the former Soviet Union as a kid I also thought that all American men must be millionaires and all American women must be movie stars, no more, no less. Everybody is driving a car (true) which can be a Ferrari or a 1968 rusty Chevy truck. Please, tell me you were kidding.

Tomas Forro
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
I'm deadly serious Sep 3, 2008

First of all, this problem doesn't apply only to the proz membership. I've just bought the TRADOS packages through TGB on proz and all their prices are always the same for euro and USD. That's not a few cents difference!

Sokolniki, sorry if you felt offended by what I wrote - I definitely didn't mean to begin the discussion on social differencies in US society and I agree with you that there are considerable differences between economical (social) classes.

However, I t
... See more
First of all, this problem doesn't apply only to the proz membership. I've just bought the TRADOS packages through TGB on proz and all their prices are always the same for euro and USD. That's not a few cents difference!

Sokolniki, sorry if you felt offended by what I wrote - I definitely didn't mean to begin the discussion on social differencies in US society and I agree with you that there are considerable differences between economical (social) classes.

However, I think that's not the point in this discussion. People who are members of proz worldwide and work as a linguist professionals, usually have a higher education and all the intelectual abilities to be equal in this "community".

And still, I somehow believe I have better access to many amenities that make my work easier, more efficient and let's say it directly, better paid than, say, translator from Georgia or Bolivia. I can afford broadband internet, legal software and most of all, just the simple fact that I live in the EU gives me better opportunities to find the job.

I also believe this inequality applies when comparing my opportunities and the ones of translator living in the US. I'm actually sure of it, because at certain point I realised all the translators established in the US who are working in the same language pair like me simply have the higher rates. Sometimes, much higher.

And that's pretty normal, I'm perfectly happy with it. I just somehow feel there is no fair reason why should translators from US pay less than me. And that's the important point here.
Or are you trying to tell me the US translators usually live in ghettos and drive the buicks 1968? If it is so, I'll be the first one to contribute to some charity fund for US proz members living in hard conditions!
Collapse

justdone
justdone
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I see the point and... Sep 3, 2008

And I agree with you.

subscription fee is not such a small amount and even if it is not calculated on the same basis, is not correct (129 USD vs 114 EUR, but at today exchange rate should be 89,2!)

I've tried to change my personal settings, to US addres, USD as currency, and the system offers to pay the USD fee.

Than you can again change your setting before proceeding. I didn't go any further, but I will for sure try if I decide to subscribe. ...
See more
And I agree with you.

subscription fee is not such a small amount and even if it is not calculated on the same basis, is not correct (129 USD vs 114 EUR, but at today exchange rate should be 89,2!)

I've tried to change my personal settings, to US addres, USD as currency, and the system offers to pay the USD fee.

Than you can again change your setting before proceeding. I didn't go any further, but I will for sure try if I decide to subscribe.

Sorry for my poor english - I hope the idea is clear!
Collapse

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 3, 2008

Thanks Henry!

Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
just one more suggestion Sep 3, 2008

I would like to take advantage of this discussion and try to offer for it another perspective: why don´t ProZ staff think at offering different fees according to the country where the members subscribe from? When you buy Wordfast you can apply for a discount depending on the country you buy it from.

It´s a matter of common sense: we all agree than the cost of living in, let´s say, England is not the same than in Uruguay...

All the best

Sandro

Tomas Forro
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
You're my man Sep 3, 2008

Exactly! I agree with you Sandro!
I really think it's a great idea, the way they do it in Wordfast.
I think the sensitivity in globalised community like this is crucial. I really wouldn't mind paying for proZ membership more than my colleagues from Ukraine, Georgia or Latin America, because it's simply fair.
I also wouldn't mind if the difference between USD and Euros in my last order on ProZ (TGB Trados training - 99 USD/99 Euro - !!!), was used as a support for translators w
... See more
Exactly! I agree with you Sandro!
I really think it's a great idea, the way they do it in Wordfast.
I think the sensitivity in globalised community like this is crucial. I really wouldn't mind paying for proZ membership more than my colleagues from Ukraine, Georgia or Latin America, because it's simply fair.
I also wouldn't mind if the difference between USD and Euros in my last order on ProZ (TGB Trados training - 99 USD/99 Euro - !!!), was used as a support for translators who might really appreciate the full membership, but can't afford it
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USD/Euro - Why same amount?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »