Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:07
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2008

Hi, I don't know if the following fetaure is already implemented.

I read the job offers which describe their texts bu sometimes the description doesn't match the text. Even if clients copy&paste an excerpt, this doesn't fit all the text, particularly if we deal with long texts and not only 100-words texts.

The feature I'm thinking about is a field where clients can upload one or more file(s) in order to check it(them) before translators dare to bid.

Thanx
... See more

I read the job offers which describe their texts bu sometimes the description doesn't match the text. Even if clients copy&paste an excerpt, this doesn't fit all the text, particularly if we deal with long texts and not only 100-words texts.

The feature I'm thinking about is a field where clients can upload one or more file(s) in order to check it(them) before translators dare to bid.

Thanx! And happy weekend!

[Edited at 2008-09-05 21:14]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Good idea! Sep 5, 2008

My support, it surely is confusing to quote for a text you haven't seen. And short excerpts rarely does show the full picture- there are often documents where chapter one deals with legal aspects, chapter 3 with chemical, while chapter 7 with thermonuclear ones...

Uldis

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Thanx! And happy weekend!

[Edited at 2008-09-05 21:14]

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Sep 5, 2008

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

My support, it surely is confusing to quote for a text you haven't seen. And short excerpts rarely does show the full picture- there are often documents where chapter one deals with legal aspects, chapter 3 with chemical, while chapter 7 with thermonuclear ones...

Uldis

Or they fill the title as "Electronic toy" but when you think you're gonna deal with chips, batteries et al. you finlly find it's about contracts and legal documents of a toy firm hehehehehe

Thanx for your support!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:07
SITE STAFF
This is available Sep 5, 2008

Hello Yaotl,

Actually, this feature is available in the "New job posting" form under the Jobs tab.

Best regards,

Jared

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Sep 5, 2008

Jared wrote:

Hello Yaotl,

Actually, this feature is available in the "New job posting" form under the Jobs tab.

Best regards,

Jared

Hello Jared,

I realize just a few cliens use it. When was it launched?

Sorry for the cofussion.

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 18:07
Reply Sep 5, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:The feature I'm thinking about is a field where clients can upload one or more file(s) in order to check it(them) before translators dare to bid.

I guess many agencies/customers wouldn't be too keen to do this, as it might go against confidentiality requirements? I agree that it can be a pain to place a bid without knowing how much time will be required to perform the translation, or indeed whether it falls within our areas of competence, but if I were an outsourcer I wouldn't be too comfortable with making the text publicly available for everybody - I would rather select a very limited number of translators from the directory and send the text to them.

Best,
Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job files upload

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »