Mobile menu

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with the 'Answer this question' marketing hook?
Thread poster: Caryl Swift

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:03
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

Greetings, one and all!

Whenever I’ve cleaned my disc and then, when I’m not logged in, I open up ProZ again via a KudoZ link in an e-mail, I see the following message:

“If you are a translator and know the answer to this question log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

In the light of a number of forum threads regarding KudoZ Answerers and attitudes etc. etc. (forgive me if I don’t again rehearse the many points made in those threads, but reiteration isn’t my intention here), I’ve found myself wondering if the wording of this might be helping to foster an initial misunderstanding of the ethos.

How often is it possible to be 100% certain that one ‘knows’ what the hook terms ‘THE answer’? Would it not be more likely to encourage the kind of thoughtful, helpful, non-bumptious approach so often discussed, hankered after and mourned for here if something along the lines of ‘suggest’ and ‘an answer’ were used instead? Surely that wouldn’t actively discourage potential new users/members from participating, would it?

Caryl

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:03
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Changing the wording Sep 13, 2008

I think the marketing hook is good... The more outsourcers and agencies who join the site, the better (especially when it comes to putting more eyes on KudoZ questions).

I would just reword the invitation a bit:

“If you are a translator and can help with this question, log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

This also makes it clear that offering up comments and references, without actually proposing an answer, is also welcome.

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 16:03
SITE STAFF
Great suggestion! Oct 9, 2008

Andrew Levine wrote:

Changing the wording

I think the marketing hook is good... The more outsourcers and agencies who join the site, the better (especially when it comes to putting more eyes on KudoZ questions).

I would just reword the invitation a bit:

“If you are a translator and can help with this question, log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

This also makes it clear that offering up comments and references, without actually proposing an answer, is also welcome.

Thanks a lot Andrew!

The wording was modified as you suggested.

Best regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with the 'Answer this question' marketing hook?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs