Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 23, 2001

The following activities are not allowed:

personal attacks on others

I read that in the Rules of Etiquette for this forum. And it is a common practice in peer grading. Check the English-Spanish Kudoz section. The attacks are of a personal nature, nothing to do with translation, grammar, cultural issues, nothing that will help the asker. I believe there is only one way to remind people their manners (they must be hypocrites according to what they write, but I\'d li
... See more
The following activities are not allowed:

personal attacks on others

I read that in the Rules of Etiquette for this forum. And it is a common practice in peer grading. Check the English-Spanish Kudoz section. The attacks are of a personal nature, nothing to do with translation, grammar, cultural issues, nothing that will help the asker. I believe there is only one way to remind people their manners (they must be hypocrites according to what they write, but I\'d like to enjoy some sense of civility): SHOW the names of the people who do the grading. This way, we will be able to stop this disgraceful practice.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:29
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 24, 2001

More and more people have suggested that peer grading of KudoZ answers no longer be anonymous.

On principle, I had contended that what was important was not the identity of the peer reviewer, but the content of his or her comment. Unfortunately, many of the comments have no linguistic merit, and are of no value to askers (for example, comments along the lines of \"simply wrong\", \"why do you guess?\", \"huh?\", etc., are difficult to glean value from.)

... See more
More and more people have suggested that peer grading of KudoZ answers no longer be anonymous.

On principle, I had contended that what was important was not the identity of the peer reviewer, but the content of his or her comment. Unfortunately, many of the comments have no linguistic merit, and are of no value to askers (for example, comments along the lines of \"simply wrong\", \"why do you guess?\", \"huh?\", etc., are difficult to glean value from.)

I have therefore changed peer review as follows:

- Henceforth, peer comments will be accompanied by the peer\'s name

- There will no longer be \"grading\". Instead, there will only be \"agree\" or \"disagree\" options.

Please share your opinions in a few weeks on whether or not this move has resulted in a change for the better.
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
German to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2001

The agree/disagree function is definitely an improvement, as is the non-anonymity.

But would it also be possible to add another function whereby you could neither agree nor disagree, simply add a comment? You may want to point out a spelling mistake, or different usage, or just comment on the answer. But you may not be in a position to comment on the suitability of the answer provided.

Just a thought!

Regards

M
... See more
The agree/disagree function is definitely an improvement, as is the non-anonymity.

But would it also be possible to add another function whereby you could neither agree nor disagree, simply add a comment? You may want to point out a spelling mistake, or different usage, or just comment on the answer. But you may not be in a position to comment on the suitability of the answer provided.

Just a thought!

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 12, 2001

Thank you, Henry. The new system works much better, I think.

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Jul 15, 2001

I agree with Mary. Sometimes it\'s not just a matter of agreement or disagreement - I just want to post a comment to an answer that has been given, so a third option in the lines of \"Additional Comment\" or \"Neither\" or something, would be most welcome.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Peer Grading, Anonimity

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »