Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 20, 2002

Setting a minimum for bids

It\'s still not clear to me why this would not be an acceptable practice. Fact is, 2 cent translations keep popping up. Now, if there are a considerable number of experienced translators willing to work for that price, well that would explain it of course. Is this the case?

Agencies Blue Board

Let only people who have actually worked for the mentioned agencies send a report. Otherwise, people give 5 points
... See more

It\'s still not clear to me why this would not be an acceptable practice. Fact is, 2 cent translations keep popping up. Now, if there are a considerable number of experienced translators willing to work for that price, well that would explain it of course. Is this the case?

Agencies Blue Board

Let only people who have actually worked for the mentioned agencies send a report. Otherwise, people give 5 points to agencies they would like to work with, which is misleading and renders the average useless. Perhaps the \"test\" reports could be removed too?

Tracking system abusers

Probably more work for those in charge, but not really difficult to implement. What to do about it, well, that\'s where things get hazy. Ground rules seem to be set as we go along (a bit confusing in itself), which makes the site a paradise for those whose main interest is to pile up points no matter what.

The un-selected few

Is it just by chance that most of the proposals and complaints come from Platinum members? It\'s actually kind of ironic because apparently, our interests are not the ones of the majority. A catch-22 of sorts.

Forums

Could they be set up like regular mailing lists? Having to check them on the web is not very practical and following threads is not an easy task. I\'ve noticed even a number of questions/requests go unanswered, which is a pity.

General

Don\'t get me wrong. I think the whole ProZ concept is an excellent idea, and I support it wholeheartedly. I just wish it would cater more to professional translators than to the masses. Maybe some day?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-20 15:52 ]
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Would that I were your fairy godmother. Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 15:47, Dyran wrote:

It\'s still not clear to me why this would not be an acceptable practice. ....

Agencies Blue Board

Let only people who have actually worked for the mentioned agencies send a report. ....

Tracking system abusers

General

Don\'t ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-20 15:47, Dyran wrote:

It\'s still not clear to me why this would not be an acceptable practice. ....

Agencies Blue Board

Let only people who have actually worked for the mentioned agencies send a report. ....

Tracking system abusers

General

Don\'t get me wrong. I think the whole ProZ concept is an excellent idea, and I support it wholeheartedly. I just wish it would cater more to professional translators than to the masses. Maybe some day?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-20 15:52 ]

Dyran, I think these should probably have been posted separately, but I\'ll respond here to a few.

I suspect it would be illegal. Conspiracy in restraint of trade. Anyone more versed in law than I, please correct me.

Agencies Blue Board

Wouldn\'t it be a little involved, to say the least, to confirm that so-and-so has worked for such-and-such?

Tracking system abusers

And how.

General

Yes, it seems that for some it\'s more a Translation Playground than Workplace. ▲ Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setting a minimum for bids Jan 25, 2002

Seeing that sites like Aquarius and eLance have set minimums for bids, I would think that there is nothing illegal involved.

Any lawyers out there who could comment on this?

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agencies Blue Board Jan 25, 2002

A box could be included saying \'I have worked for this agency\'.

Also, there are people on the Blue Board who outright say they would like to work for whatever agency and give it 5 points, regardless of the rating given by people who have actually worked for them.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tracking system abusers Jan 25, 2002

The difficulty lies not on whether it is possible to do it (it is), but on whether ProZ management would want to implement these measures.

The main reason being that you can\'t really be too strict when a website is open to the general public at large.

My guess is we\'ll probably have to bear with system abusers until the problem gets really out of hand.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:33
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
your forum suggestion Feb 8, 2002

2 separate threads have already been posted on this isuue quite recently, so I think it would be a popular improvement...:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=1091&forum=13

and:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=997&forum=13&2

... See more
2 separate threads have already been posted on this isuue quite recently, so I think it would be a popular improvement...:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=1091&forum=13

and:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=997&forum=13&2

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-08 13:59 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wish list

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »