Mobile menu

Proposal for a new KudoZ feature: an 'I don't know' answer (T)
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama
Local time: 12:05
German to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2003

Sometimes when I come across questions in 'my' languages from askers who I would like to help but – for whatever reason – cannot, I'd like to at least be able to indicate to the asker that I have viewed the question but am unable to be of assistance. I know myself from posting questions that I'm willing to wait for suggestions from certain people whose expertise I respect, but there is no way of telling if they have even seen the question. Very often, difficult questions remain unanswered for long periods and the asker has no indication as to whether the 'experts' have come and gone, are all asleep, on holiday, not interested or whatever.

Proposing answers like 'Hi Asker, I'd love to help but it's over my head'' would just mean a lot of unnecessary scrolling for others when viewing answers, so I'd like to propose an additional box containing a number of options that (non)-answerers can tick (if they wish), the names then being revealed at least to the asker.

Just a thought.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 22:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jacqueline van der Spek  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds like a good idea Jun 10, 2003

Sounds like a good idea and maybe even create a possibility for answerers to give a hint where to look for the right answer, even if they don't know the right answer themselves. Sometimes I know the answer to the question in a different language and maybe someone else will know the answer by looking at my answer.

Regards,
Jacqueline

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
brilliant! Jun 10, 2003

Jacqueline Hofman-van der Spek wrote:

Sounds like a good idea and maybe even create a possibility for answerers to give a hint where to look for the right answer, even if they don't know the right answer themselves. Sometimes I know the answer to the question in a different language and maybe someone else will know the answer by looking at my answer.

Regards,
Jacqueline

as an Asker I would appreciate it much more to know that the expert I was counting on cannot help me with this specific term, but can give me hints, than read pure guesses or stare at a blank screen. Yes! Especially with strictly technical terms.
Thank you so much for starting tis topic.
Regards
Agnieszka

Francisco Herrerias  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
YES! I second that proposal... Jun 10, 2003

tygru wrote:

Jacqueline Hofman-van der Spek wrote:

Regards,
Jacqueline

as an Asker I would appreciate it much more to know that the expert I was counting on cannot help me with this specific term, but can give me hints, than read pure guesses or stare at a blank screen. Yes! Especially with strictly technical terms.
Thank you so much for starting this topic.
Regards
Agnieszka

I beleive it would help us all, I frequently don't know the specific answer for a question, but I read other people's answers, and I would appreciate those hints as much as the asker...

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would it be used? Jun 11, 2003

An honest question formulated with a very respectful spirit: how many answerers would take the effort to "answer" a KudoZ question just to say "I don't know"?
Enrique

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
Italian to English
+ ...
I don't think it would work, truthfully. Jun 11, 2003

I don't mean to sound negative, but I don't think this would be any kind of improvement to the system. We already have something in place that SHOULD flag the asker. It's the confidence level rating. Do people use it? Yes, some do, others don't. But the mechanism is there. If the concern is just wondering if anybody has seen the question or not, I think we can be reasoably sure that it has been seen because most people have email notifications turned on, and kudoz points give people some incentive to try to answer (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it).
Maybe something similar to the forums could be put in place showing the number of times the question has been viewed.

R.
==

[Edited at 2003-06-11 03:29]

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
we already have the Jun 11, 2003

"Not enough context? Request more info from asker" box,
the scopes of which may be increased, as long as the comments made there are useful for the asker…

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What about displaying the views? Jun 11, 2003

To confort the asker that the question has been viewed we could count and display the number of views for each question (similar to the forum postings).

Each ProZ member viewing the question would increment the views count and the asker would know how many colleagues have read it.

If they have not answered it means that they do not know, or are not confident or competent enough to place an answer.

I agree than an explicit answer just to say "I don't know" will not be used by many.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-06-11 08:59]

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We're getting side tracked... Jun 11, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

To confort the asker that the question has been viewed we could count and display the number of views for each question (similar to the forum postings).

That's not the point I'm trying to make. What use is 1000 views if the viewers are just guessers!? Sometimes less is more.

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
I agree than an explicit answer just to say "I don't know" will not be used by many.

It doesn't need to be used by the guessers, and that would immediately reduce the numbers to single digits.

Maybe this feature could be set up such that only certain askers can use it (e.g. only those with non-empty profiles, only verified identities, only platinum members...).
Maybe even go a step further (if technically possible): the asker makes his/her own personal list of experts, and the "I don't know" box is only visible to them.

Just braincell-storming

[Edited at 2003-06-11 12:26]

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
I understand Jun 11, 2003

the problem, but you can write anything you want which can help to answer, it happens sometimes on the englishfrench pair. I put this is not a answer and I explain what the asker do not understand or give a link to help further, and with the help of others, we figure out what it means.

Lien

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
why wait for a specific person to answer if you don't even know that they're around that week.... Jun 11, 2003

Why rely on a specific person answering if you don't even know that they're around that week....

Kudoz.net already allows questions to be posted to individual members of the site and/or groups of members.

I can't see the function you suggest actually working in practice. Although there are some dang good proz translators out there, let's face it if you actually admit to not knowing something in public then it could be construed by others as a blot on your copybook.

My two cents.

FWIW

Alison

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 22:05
German to English
+ ...
counting how many people have tried to find the answer Jun 12, 2003

I think Cillian's suggestion is a useful one.

An alternative would be something like a button answerers could click on to indicate that they've tried to find the term, but had no luck. This button could link to a counter which everyone could view. That way, everyone could see how many people have tried to answer the question but given up! Would this be helpful to the asker?

Another alternative is to have a text field to allow answerers to provide the results of any research they have done towards the answer. That way, even if they couldn't find the answer, they could provide some information which may be helpful to others. They could add their name, and maybe gain BrowniZ?? This would encourage collaboration among different answerers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal for a new KudoZ feature: an 'I don't know' answer (T)

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs