Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:53
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2008

Some of us are aware that the Recent Posts section of the main page doesn't show all recent posts. Currently, the staff and moderators can decide which posts are useful for us and which aren't. They're not hidden, they're just not displayed on the main page (Recent topics in translator forums) but they still can be viewed from the 'Recent Translation forum posts' link.

I don't see a logical reasoning to deem which posts are main-page
... See more
Some of us are aware that the Recent Posts section of the main page doesn't show all recent posts. Currently, the staff and moderators can decide which posts are useful for us and which aren't. They're not hidden, they're just not displayed on the main page (Recent topics in translator forums) but they still can be viewed from the 'Recent Translation forum posts' link.

I don't see a logical reasoning to deem which posts are main-page material and which aren't. For instance, "Computer-Aided Review (CAR) Tools - suggestion to add as a forum category" seems to me a very interesting topic that a lot of users might like to read. However, this other post that might interest less people (yet I'm not saying is less important), was posted earlier and it is on the main page. I never got to see the first post until I checked the recent posts link, but I often see posts that, in my opinion, should even be deleted altogether. So I wonder why was this post removed from the main page when older posts are still on it.

Most people, I assume, only read the posts on the main page and check the 'Recent Translation forum posts' link sporadically or they may never do it. If we can decide which posts we don't want on the main page, I think we should also have the right decide to have all the other posts displayed on the main page, regardless of what a moderator thinks or deems acceptable.

I've talked with other colleagues and I know I'm not the only one that think this way, that's why I wanted to bring this up. We could have an option to make ALL recent posts (except from the disabled forums) visible from the 'Recent topics in translator forums'.

Claudia

[Edited at 2008-10-21 22:29]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Moderators are not responsible for this situation Oct 21, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Most people, I assume, only read the posts on the main page and check the 'Recent Translation forum posts' link sporadically or they may never do it. If we can decide which posts we don't want on the main page, I think we should also have the right decide to have all the other posts displayed on the main page, regardless of what a moderator thinks or deems acceptable.

Hi Claudia,

Moderators are not responsible for this situation. Home page visibility of forum threads is managed by staff as indicated at http://www.proz.com/faq/forums#forums_no_homepage

Regards,
Enrique

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:53
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My apologies Oct 21, 2008

Hi Enrique,

My apologies then. But the fact still remains, posts are removed from the main page and not because they're "more of a personal support ticket than a topic for discussion". You might remember a recent discussion about KudoZ, I think, that was removed from the main page even though it had a large number of replies. My request is to have all recent posts available from the main page, so we (the users) can decide which threads are acceptable and which aren't.

T
... See more
Hi Enrique,

My apologies then. But the fact still remains, posts are removed from the main page and not because they're "more of a personal support ticket than a topic for discussion". You might remember a recent discussion about KudoZ, I think, that was removed from the main page even though it had a large number of replies. My request is to have all recent posts available from the main page, so we (the users) can decide which threads are acceptable and which aren't.

That's all.

Claudia
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
An adequate option already exists Oct 22, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
I don't see a logical reasoning to deem which posts are main-page material and which aren't.

I suspect it is a subjective thing, but I would be surprised if there were no guidelines of sorts. And I can only speculate about why some post are chosen and others not, but my guess would be that it has to do with marketing. The ProZ.com homepage is presumably the first page or the main page anyone (not only members or regular visitors) would visit. The main page should be a window on what ProZ.com can offer. It makes sense to me therefore that the main page should not contain posts that generic visitors may not find particularly interesting.

And, an adequate option already exists. I use it every day. In fact, the ProZ.com main page is not even bookmarked on my computer. The page I go to first is the Most Recent Posts page.

I believe the main page ProZ.com members see should be the same or very similar page as visitors see. This will enable ProZ.com members to promote it among colleagues and not be surprised when the colleague says "but I don't see that".

Most people, I assume, only read the posts on the main page and check the 'Recent Translation forum posts' link sporadically or they may never do it.

Can you give me the link to the 'Recent Translation forum posts'? I can't find it.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
French to English
A link, of a kind Oct 22, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Can you give me the link to the 'Recent Translation forum posts'? I can't find it.

Giving you a link would send you straight to the page. Which wouldn't help you find the link from the main page

Anyway, you know the box on the main page that shows forum posts, headed "Recent topics in translator forums"? The dark green bar at the top has 3 links: "Customise", "Post a new topic" and.... you guessed it!

You can also find anything of that nature that is causing you a moment of head scratching using your browser's search function. In this case, simply searching on the homepage for the string "forum posts" takes you right there.

[Edited at 2008-10-22 10:00]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
"most recent posts" page Oct 22, 2008

Setting a thread not to show in the home page does not mean that it will not show in the "most recent posts" page.

See for instance the thread http://www.proz.com/topic/118666 that was set not to show in the home page and yet can be found in the "most recent posts" page.

Regards,
Enrique

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:53
English to French
Thank you Claudia Oct 22, 2008

Thank you for posting, Claudia, happy to see that I am not alone (I suggested the same a while ago: http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/117790-topics_that_are_not_of_general_interest_:_who_decides_.html)

As a user I never check my ProZ homepage, I go directly to the KudoZ page or to the Forum page, and always searc
... See more
Thank you for posting, Claudia, happy to see that I am not alone (I suggested the same a while ago: http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/117790-topics_that_are_not_of_general_interest_:_who_decides_.html)

As a user I never check my ProZ homepage, I go directly to the KudoZ page or to the Forum page, and always search "most recent posts" page

Stéphanie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some posts are pulled off the Main page - Request to make this optional

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »