Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 23, 2008

G'day everyone

I don't realy use KudoZ to ask questions, but if I were to consider it, the following item would discourage me from using it. In the current setup, the asker is required to select both broad and specific fields. Selecting a broad field is easy and it is likely that I would select the correct one. Selecting a specific field is more complex and it requires that the asker reads the entire list a few times to memorise it so that he doesn't select the wrong one. Altern
... See more
G'day everyone

I don't realy use KudoZ to ask questions, but if I were to consider it, the following item would discourage me from using it. In the current setup, the asker is required to select both broad and specific fields. Selecting a broad field is easy and it is likely that I would select the correct one. Selecting a specific field is more complex and it requires that the asker reads the entire list a few times to memorise it so that he doesn't select the wrong one. Alternatively he can select an option which is only remotely relevant to his query, if he is in a hurry. It would be far easier for me to just type in the field that I think it is, instead of trying to figure out what word did the ProZ.com designer use to describe the field that I have in mind.

So, I suggest that selecting a specific field should be optional if the translator writes his own field.

Your thoughts?
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
KudoZ questions must be categorized Oct 23, 2008

Hi Samuel,

If you used KudoZ, you'd know that.

Also, if an asker makes a mistake selecting a specific field, other (empowered) members can correct the mistake after it's been posted.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In that case Oct 23, 2008

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
Also, if an asker makes a mistake selecting a specific field, other (empowered) members can correct the mistake after it's been posted.

Oh, thanks, well in that case, I'll just select the first option.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Good luck! Oct 23, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Oh, thanks, well in that case, I'll just select the first option.

Good luck with getting helpful answers

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can we blame it on culture, then? Oct 23, 2008

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
Good luck with getting helpful answers

Well, there must be some reason why KudoZ is so unpopular with translators in my language combination, who seem to prefer offsite mailing lists for such purposes.

Why is it necessary to classify KudoZ questions into tiny little categories when there are so few of them anyway? For EN-AF there are less than 100 questions per year, and for AF-EN there are less than 50 a year. Why then this insane insistence on classifying them to the enth degree?

I can see the point of finer classification once a language reaches a certain number of questions per day or per week, but why go out of the way to discourage users of smaller languages to make use of ProZ.com's systems?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make specific field optional if field is written in

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »