Thread poster: Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2008

Hi Everybody,

As you know, in the current KudoZ system the only way to interact with the others' answers is providing them peer_comments.

There are also some options like discussion, reference, request clarification, but all these options are general and can not be connected with the specific answer.

Providing peer_comments in most cases is not enough to interact with (provide opinions, objections, references or ongoing discussions with the answerer) the provided answer as there are character limitations.

So, I would like to suggest an additional option in KudoZ for adding notes to the specific answers.

Thanks in advance to those who will share their opinions on this subject.

Best Regards,

M. Ali

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Yet another option ...? Nov 13, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

So, I would like to suggest an additional option in KudoZ for adding notes to the specific answers.

There are so many options already, it's diffiult to know what to put where.

To comment at length on an answer, it's always possible to propose another answer, marked NFG (not for grading). This will give you the space to say what you need in full.

I don't know if it's a recommended method, but I've seen it used, I've used it myself, and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Discussion section Nov 13, 2008

Isn't that what the discussion section is for?

RichardDeegan
Local time: 07:57
Spanish to English
Why? Nov 14, 2008

It's not all that hard to use the "agree"/ "disagree"/ "neutral" option to insert a comment or reference. I've done this numerous times. I have no idea of the space limitations, but I've never been shorted.

Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the same Nov 14, 2008

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Isn't that what the discussion section is for?

Discussion section is general, but what I meant is a specific option only for the related answer.

Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Developing the answer Nov 14, 2008

RichardDeegan wrote:

It's not all that hard to use the "agree"/ "disagree"/ "neutral" option to insert a comment or reference. I've done this numerous times. I have no idea of the space limitations, but I've never been shorted.

Because peer_comments are not enough for developing the specific answer. Adding notes would make it more comprehensive, because most of the answers posted with less descriptions.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:57
Italian to English
+ ...
Use the reference and/or discussion section Nov 14, 2008

... and make it clear that you're providing extra information in support of or against a particular answer. That's what others have done and it works perfectly well. You can also write in the agree/disagree box "see my note in the discussion section" or whatever.

I agree with Sheila and co., I really don't see the need for an option of this kind.

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
Disagree Nov 14, 2008

I don't like the idea. There are already too many boxes where you can write comments or references. In the end, there is no one single discussion, but different small discussions which, as an asker, I find sometimes hard to follow.
I am quite annoyed when I have to read comments dispatched between the "clarification box" and the "discussion box" (sometimes a discussion starts in the "clarification box" and then carries on in the "discussion box"). You don't even know who writes first...

Stéphanie

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My thoughts exactly ... Nov 14, 2008

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I don't like the idea. There are already too many boxes where you can write comments or references. In the end, there is no one single discussion, but different small discussions which, as an asker, I find sometimes hard to follow.
I am quite annoyed when I have to read comments dispatched between the "clarification box" and the "discussion box" (sometimes a discussion starts in the "clarification box" and then carries on in the "discussion box"). You don't even know who writes first...

Stéphanie

I don't like the idea either. It's complicated enough as it is now. No need for additional "discussion boxes". You can ask for clarification, post a discussion entry, post a reference, post a peer comment. That's enough.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: KudoZ: Adding notes to the others' answers

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs