https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/124700-also_host_swf_files_in_the_videos_section_please.html

Also host SWF files in the Videos section, please
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 10, 2009

G'day ProZ.com people

The Videos section hosts only non-interactive presentations. I think there is room for interactive formats as well, such as SWF files.

With SWF files, the author of the video can stop and start the presentation at key points. Also, an author can embed multiple sets of information in an SWF video, giving the user control over what he sees (eg if a user wants to skip basic information and move to more advanced information immediately, or if a video
... See more
G'day ProZ.com people

The Videos section hosts only non-interactive presentations. I think there is room for interactive formats as well, such as SWF files.

With SWF files, the author of the video can stop and start the presentation at key points. Also, an author can embed multiple sets of information in an SWF video, giving the user control over what he sees (eg if a user wants to skip basic information and move to more advanced information immediately, or if a video contains information about a program with multiple user scenarios).

Would it be possible to allow SWF files too?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
++ Jan 10, 2009

Would it be possible to allow SWF files too?

i.e. just leave SWF as they are and not convert to QuickTime or whatever?

This does not in any way bloat the material and on the other hand keeps the paedagogic intentions of the author intact. Of course any other way that achieves the same is welcome.

What we for sure dont need is a ProZ version of YouTube.

Regards and TiA

Vito

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About bloat Jan 10, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:
This does not in any way bloat the material...

Yes. I created a ten minute SWF introduction to a CAT tool, without sound, but with text and user interaction, for 3 MB. I then created a ten minute FLV introduction, with sound but without user interaction, and the smallest acceptable quality I have managed to export it to, is 30 MB.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:14
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Can we have a look at it? Jan 10, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
I created a ten minute SWF introduction to a CAT tool, without sound, but with text and user interaction, for 3 MB. I then created a ten minute FLV introduction, with sound but without user interaction, and the smallest acceptable quality I have managed to export it to, is 30 MB.

That's very interesting. I understand it is an introduction, but you will always fi8nd something new, because different people have different visions of the issues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Also host SWF files in the Videos section, please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »