Blue Board needs to be fine-tuned
Thread poster: Trudy Peters

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:29
German to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2002

I\'m glad you brought up the subject, JC (under Bugs, \"Agency browsing option.\" - I moved the subject to \"Suggestions.\") The blue board needs some fine-tuning.

1) If you search for companies in a certain country, the \"next 40\" take you back to ALL companies. You should be able to continue searching in the country you specified.

2) It should be possible to search for the name of a company.

3) People rating an agency should be required to provide some comments, esp. when they give a rating lower than 5.

4) If the agency information is incomplete, people who claim to have worked for it should fill in the blanks. (Can this be done?)

5) Translators who say, \"I worked for them on XX/XX and I\'m still waiting for my money,\" should provide the date the message is written or say, \"It\'s now 3 months later and I\'m still.... \" Otherwise that information is meaningless.

6) I think city, state (in the case of the US) and country should appear together. I don\'t see the point of the \"region\" at all.

That\'s all for today!

Trudy

Direct link Reply with quote

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:29
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Very good suggestions Jan 31, 2002

Trudy,

I agree with all your suggestions, and moving this thread to this area instead of bugs. I was torn myself: Is this a bug or just a suggestion? (I work in software, so when I get a chance for someone ELSE to fix something, it is a BUG! Fixes for MY stuff are only suggestions!)

Searching by company name should be even higher on the list of priorities than the country search. If there are 1000 companies listed for the USA and I need to find ZZZZ Translations, I do NOT want to scroll thru 25 screens!

Just blowing off steam because I upgraded my membership yesterday.

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Suggestions for Blue board Feb 2, 2002

Trudy said everything that I\'ve not taken the time to put into words. I agree with all of her suggestions, and hope that they will come to be reality. It is very frustrating to not be able to find an agency quickly, without scrolling through all the pages.Thank you Trudy!

Gayle

Re: Blue Board needs to be fine-tuned Feb 8, 2002

A few of these suggestions have been implemented, with some other tweaks as well:

- When browsing by country, using the Next/Back links will retain the country

- Next/Back/First links show the proper number now, ie \"Next 25\", \"Last 14\", \"First 23\", instead of always displaying 40

- Quick links allow browsing by the first character of the agency\'s name (A B C, etc). These links are updated when browsing by country or searching to reflect only those that match

- Searching by name. You can restrict searches to a particular country as well

Comments on the other suggestions:

Other translators should be able to fill in the missing information, that will be a future addition.

Separating country, region, and city is important because it allows finer grained searching, sorting, etc. Visually, it might be better to display them together, but given the variety of different formats used, this may not be the best solution.

Overall, very good suggestions, and enjoy the changes!

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about inaccurate or misleading ratings? Feb 8, 2002

Specifically, those created as \"tests\", and those entered by people who have never worked for the agency they are rating.

Thanks for the changes so far.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-08 13:09 ]

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:29
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-08 01:58, Zone wrote:

A few of these suggestions have been implemented, with some other tweaks as well:

- Searching by name. You can restrict searches to a particular country as well

Hi Jason, love that Linux penguin!

I tried this and perhaps I need better instructions.

I selected US as the country.

I pressed Go and got the USA agencies.

Then I entered \'M\' as the name and clicked the Search button.

Nothing happened. (That is, the page just redisplayed as if I had just done a Reload or Refresh in my browser.)

The Jump To letters worked fine, but that was not as intuitive as entering the letter of the name in the Search box.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yours,

cantrell

Feb 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-08 15:42, jccantrell wrote:

I tried this and perhaps I need better instructions.

I selected US as the country.

I pressed Go and got the USA agencies.

Then I entered \'M\' as the name and clicked the Search button.

Nothing happened. (That is, the page just redisplayed as if I had just done a Reload or Refresh in my browser.)

The search field will return all agencies that match the text, not just those that start with it. An example would be searching for \"International\". Both \"Arthur International\" and \"International Resources Unlimited\" would show up. So when you searched for \"M\", the list probably didn\'t seem to change much, since the first few entries started with A, not M as you expected.

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board needs to be fine-tuned

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search