https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/126572-blue_board_entries_on_fraudulent_outsourcers.html

Blue board entries on fraudulent outsourcers
Thread poster: Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 18:04
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2009

I was recently contacted by an outsoucer to do some work. Everything about him was suspicious.
Hotmail address, amateurish homepage with no address or phone number. When I asked, he provided me with an address in India (not his, I checked), a phone number in Vietnam (not his, I checked) and a business registration no. from Italy (not his, I checked). His IP number showed that he was actually in India though.

Then I found another translator's posting here in the forum warning
... See more
I was recently contacted by an outsoucer to do some work. Everything about him was suspicious.
Hotmail address, amateurish homepage with no address or phone number. When I asked, he provided me with an address in India (not his, I checked), a phone number in Vietnam (not his, I checked) and a business registration no. from Italy (not his, I checked). His IP number showed that he was actually in India though.

Then I found another translator's posting here in the forum warning about him (although it had been edited by Proz, the original entry with the guy's name still appeared in Google, so I was in no doubt it was the same guy).

When I challenged him, he told me to go to hell.

Finally, I contacted some colleagues and found out that he had also been trying to convince them to work. They were also suspicious even before I contacted them. The guy is not very bright, but he is persistent.

Anyway, my point is, I set up a blueboard reference to him, but because I hadn't worked for him, I wasn't allowed to make a comment.

Now today, I see that someone else has added a comment on the blueboard entry I set up:

" Nearly $800. No reply to my payment request, no compliant about my translation, I even did editing for him after delivery. NO Payment at all!"

If I'd been allowed to make an entry, I might have saved my unfortunate colleague a lot of work and aggravation.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-04 08:46 GMT]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:04
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs/BB moderator and/or ProZ.com staff Feb 3, 2009

Hi Diarmuid,
What I would suggest in such a case is to contact a Jobs/Blue Board moderator, and/or to submit a Support Request to ProZ.com staff.

Did you notice the public note posted by moderators very shortly after the BB record was created?

Best regards,
Ralf

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 18:04
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 3, 2009

Thanks Ralf...Good idea, I'll do that in future.

I haven't seen any public note posted by the moderators.

Diarmuid

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Public note posted on the Blue Board record Feb 3, 2009

Hi again,

I haven't seen any public note posted by the moderators.

It is a note posted by a fellow Jobs moderator indicating (and pointing out) a lack of contact details.

Best regards,
Ralf

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Good to know! Feb 3, 2009

Thanks for this interesting discussion, gentlemen.

I too was in the case of having to say something about an outsourcer without actually having worked for them.

Laurent K.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
Just an idea but... Feb 3, 2009

Another translator once told me that he contacted Interpol about a fraudulent agency and got very good results.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 10:04
English to Russian
+ ...
I think we should be allowed to post on the Blue Board... Feb 4, 2009

...even if we haven't actually worked for a particular outsourcer.

Unethical behavior can and does occur prior to the point of hiring, and I think it is good to warn others about it.

Just my opinion.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Let's not fix what's not broken ... Feb 4, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

...even if we haven't actually worked for a particular outsourcer.

Unethical behavior can and does occur prior to the point of hiring, and I think it is good to warn others about it.

Just my opinion.

Changing the rules (BB or any other kind) can have a lot of unexpected side effects. I think Ralf's suggestion is to be followed. And I liked the Interpol suggestion (g).

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue board entries on fraudulent outsourcers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »