Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2009

I would like to see our "years of experience" number automatically update each year. That would be one less thing for us to do with the coming of a new year.

Yes, it is a small task. If this were available at least as an option, it would help us worry about one less thing if the early months of the year are busy.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It has been done already Feb 6, 2009

See the page http://www.proz.com/settings/history
where you can fill the field "Year started:"

Gianfranco

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This was mentioned briefly just a few days ago Feb 6, 2009

See this post:
http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/126260-years_of_experience_on_proz_profile-page2.html

As mentioned there, I'm not sure that would have sensible results. Not all of us translate full-time, some of us take a period of time off, etc. I'd love to think that each year that passes gives me anoth
... See more
See this post:
http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/126260-years_of_experience_on_proz_profile-page2.html

As mentioned there, I'm not sure that would have sensible results. Not all of us translate full-time, some of us take a period of time off, etc. I'd love to think that each year that passes gives me another year's experience in translating, but it's not so - I gain more experience every year, of course, but I don't spend the standard French 35-hour week translating.

I think the best we could hope for from ProZ would be an email reminder with a link to our profile to make it really easy to make the change every year (if applicable).

Note to Gianfranco added: I'm not at all sure the 'year started' field is actually used to automatically update the years of experience. I seem to remember completing those fields with the same values when I first registered. Am I wrong? Is it automatic?

[Edited at 2009-02-06 20:52 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
An e-mailed reminder Feb 6, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I think the best we could hope for from ProZ would be an email reminder with a link to our profile to make it really easy to make the change every year (if applicable).

This was exactly my idea also, when I first saw the thread heading.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does it really? Feb 6, 2009

gianfranco wrote:
See the page http://www.proz.com/settings/history
where you can fill the field "Year started:"

Are you sure that it actually increments? I was under the impression that we are asked for both the number of years and the year started simply because some people calculate the number of years differently (eg half-time for part-time), or because some people had non-translation jobs inbetween.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 06:05
Spanish to English
Is it that difficult? Feb 7, 2009

Is it that difficult to manually update (or check) your years of experience with your annual renewal?
I hope nobody is going to suggest that ProZ assume responsibility for GPS tracking for when folks move and forget to change their addresses.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Already discussed Feb 7, 2009

RichardDeegan wrote:

Is it that difficult to manually update (or check) your years of experience with your annual renewal?
I hope nobody is going to suggest that ProZ assume responsibility for GPS tracking for when folks move and forget to change their addresses.

and exactly my thoughts.
10 clients sitting next to me just could not but smile

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 16:35
Would be a nice feature Feb 7, 2009

RichardDeegan wrote:

That's assuming your renewals are annual! They don't have to be. Any you don't have to have started your business in the same month you became a ProZ member.

There's lots of things one can do manually but prefers to automate. Such as setting your alarm clock every day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I would like to see "years of experience" number automatically update each year

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »