Featuring outdated articles
Thread poster: RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2009

I was astonished when I read an article about OmegaT featured on the main page: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/151/1/OmegaT-review. Not a bad one, but there is only a "small" problem with it: it was written on 2004. For a software review, five years is not just too old, it is pleistocene. It shows problems with paragraph segmentation, display and s... See more
I was astonished when I read an article about OmegaT featured on the main page: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/151/1/OmegaT-review. Not a bad one, but there is only a "small" problem with it: it was written on 2004. For a software review, five years is not just too old, it is pleistocene. It shows problems with paragraph segmentation, display and spell checking that are solved in the latest versions.

The result of outdated software reviews is misinformation and confusion. I beg Proz staff not featuring software reviews older than two years, and may be two years is too long for this type of articles.

¡Salud!

Ignacio Vicario Esteban
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 11, 2009

I've been complaining about this off and on for months.

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What about a support ticket? Mar 12, 2009

Seems a good suggestion to me. Have you tried sending a support ticket to one of the staff members?

RNAtranslator
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a Proz. com suggestion Mar 12, 2009

Riens Middelhof wrote:

Seems a good suggestion to me. Have you tried sending a support ticket to one of the staff members?

This is not to complain about a caertain outdated article. There is nothing wrong with it; most probably it was a good one on 2004. I am suggesting a change in Proz website in order to not featuring outdated software reviews.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:32
SITE STAFF
Filter for featured articles Mar 12, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks Ignacio for pointing this out-- I agree that some articles, such as the technology or software articles, may become outdated much more rapidly than others, and that better filtering the featured article is a good idea. I will see what can be done.

Best regards,

Jared

RNAtranslator
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jared! Mar 13, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A suggestion, Jared... Mar 13, 2009

In ancient ages, I guess when cell phones had a rotary dial instead of a keypad I wrote an article on translating from audio. It was originally published on Gabe Bokor's Translation Journal and later duplicated on Proz.

Though the concepts are still valid, some software tips are obsolete. I asked Gabe about it and he had never faced a request to update an article. AFAICS Proz hasn't either.

So my s
... See more
In ancient ages, I guess when cell phones had a rotary dial instead of a keypad I wrote an article on translating from audio. It was originally published on Gabe Bokor's Translation Journal and later duplicated on Proz.

Though the concepts are still valid, some software tips are obsolete. I asked Gabe about it and he had never faced a request to update an article. AFAICS Proz hasn't either.

So my suggestion, Jared, would be some semi-automated (viz. other than individual support tickets) way for an author to edit their previously published article. Two options offered:
a) remove immediately, or
b) keep it there until its replacement is okayed.

Then the new version gets uploaded for approval as if it were a new article. The only difference is that it will later replace the old article (or its vacancy), instead of being added to the knowledgebase.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
I like it Mar 13, 2009

Hi José,

Good one. I think you might be wrong about cell phones having had rotary dials , but I like the idea of allowing authors to more easily update their articles. Something like that might take a while to get implemented. If there are authors who would like to update in the meantime, I would recommend a support request with the updated material, and staff can take care of adding it.

Best regards,
... See more
Hi José,

Good one. I think you might be wrong about cell phones having had rotary dials , but I like the idea of allowing authors to more easily update their articles. Something like that might take a while to get implemented. If there are authors who would like to update in the meantime, I would recommend a support request with the updated material, and staff can take care of adding it.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:32
German to English
+ ...
Definitely a winning suggestion, José Mar 13, 2009

Designating a new article as a replacement for a specific old one is an excellent idea and would take care of my concerns regarding some aged material I have produced and some articles I have refrained from publishing because I expect software updates that will soon require them to be rewritten.

I say you get a gold star for that suggestion!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Update Mar 17, 2009

Hello again all,

Just an update-- the filter for technical articles has been introduced. Let me know if anyone notices any problems.

As I mentioned, José's suggestion will take longer to implement.

By the way, I know some of you are already familiar with the wiki project, but others may not be: http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/ . If you are interested in contributing to
... See more
Hello again all,

Just an update-- the filter for technical articles has been introduced. Let me know if anyone notices any problems.

As I mentioned, José's suggestion will take longer to implement.

By the way, I know some of you are already familiar with the wiki project, but others may not be: http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/ . If you are interested in contributing to the wiki and need help doing so, please just contact me. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

RNAtranslator
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jared! Mar 17, 2009

You have been very quick. Thanks a lot!

¡Salud!

Ignacio Vicario Esteban

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Featuring outdated articles

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »