Mobile menu

Get identity verified through Moneybookers instead of PayPal (D)
Thread poster: xxxchance
xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 9, 2003

Hi Henry and all,

“There are currently 3 ways you can get your identity verified: You paid for your Platinum Membership with your credit card or through PayPal (please ensure that the name in your profile matches the name on the credit card)…”

I paid for my Platinum Membership through Moneybookers.

I would like to know if we can get identity verified through Moneybookers instead of PayPal and put Moneybookers on our ProZ profile page?

Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 20:44]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:36
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Receiving Aug 9, 2003

Paypal har WAY TO HIGH charges when receiving money. And for translators, receiving money is more important than sending (normally).

My choice is: Send at no cost with Paypal, receive at no cost with Moneybookers!

Many translators (including my self) I know have learnt the hard way that Paypal charges a percentage when receiving money. Insist on wire transfer, Moneybookers or cheque, especially for the large transfers.

[Edited at 2003-08-09 08:18]

[Edited at 2003-08-09 08:19]

truptee  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
French to English
+ ...
Thanks!!! Aug 9, 2003

That was a super duper piece of advice Ivan!

Thanks both of you for tha exchange!

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Just a query for information only Aug 10, 2003

(and neutral between the two.)
Isn't it free to send & receive with Paypal using a Debit (not Credit) Card, through a "private" / non-merchant PPl. account? [It seems from my later experience,"No!" ](apart from a small withdrawal charge).
Isn't this a third option (if I am right in the above - anyone who knows different might like to correct me)[It seems "No, it's not a third option"]
- I don't discount other benefits of MoneyBookers for people living in some countries, and some advantage in accepting Credit Cards too, but maybe the second is not essential instead of a Debit Card?) [It seems Debit & Credit cards are all treated as Credit cards - no difference].
This isn't particularly meant as a defence of Paypal - I'm interested in both Moneybookers & Paypal, although no one has ever taken up my offer to use either of them.
I'd welcome having the option of either and both, on the site.

[Edited at 2003-09-19 23:43]

[Edited at 2003-09-19 23:44]

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:36
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I don't think so Aug 10, 2003

Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

Isn't it free to send & receive with Paypal using a Debit (not Credit) Card, through a "private" / non-merchant PPl. account? (apart from a small withdrawal charge).

I do not use credit cards, only debet cards, I started up using a standard Paypal "private" /non-merchand PPI. account.

When I received my first payment from a customer It was stated:

"Upgrade your account if you want to receive the money"...but the upgrade was free. Receiving was not. Their percentage is almost unheard of when handeling larger amounts. For amounts less then 250 USD or so the problem (or charge...) is not as large.

Hopefully Paypal reduces their charges.

[Edited at 2003-08-10 19:56]

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
It seems Ivan was right about accepting debit card pay. not being free (to Paypal personal accounts) Sep 19, 2003

And my "clever theory" about this was wrong.
A customer assures me that they used a Debit card, and Paypal told me to "upgrade" to receive a Credit Card payment (and pay credit card charges), just as for a Credit Card payment. It does seem that Debit & Credit cards are all counted as "credit cards".
Whatever the merits of Paypal & Moneybookers - and I'm sure there may be some for each - it would be nice to have the choice of either or both on our pages.

The only "free" way might(?) be for a US bank account holder to electronically transfer money to his PP account (costs here or not?), and then send it to someone's PP personal account (free to recieve, costs to withdraw to bank account & exchange). I don't know whether this route is practical or not.

[Edited at 2003-09-20 12:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Get identity verified through Moneybookers instead of PayPal (D)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs