Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 4, 2009

On several ProZ.com pages, on the right-hand side, is an advert about Trados' 25 years in the industry. The red seal in that advert looks remarkably similar to the P symbol for Pro members.

Now if I didn't know that the P for Pro members stood for something entirely independent of the Trados advert, I certain would have drawn the conclusion that members with a P symbol are members with some kind of Trados affiliation.

I wonder how many client visitors to the ProZ.com web site would make that mistake. More than half? Less than half? I suggest ProZ.com requests that Trados change the seal in their advert a tad.

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
they call the shots Apr 4, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

On several ProZ.com pages, on the right-hand side, is an advert about Trados' 25 years in the industry. The red seal in that advert looks remarkably similar to the P symbol for Pro members.

Now if I didn't know that the P for Pro members stood for something entirely independent of the Trados advert, I certain would have drawn the conclusion that members with a P symbol are members with some kind of Trados affiliation.

I wonder how many client visitors to the ProZ.com web site would make that mistake. More than half? Less than half? I suggest ProZ.com requests that Trados change the seal in their advert a tad.

Good luck with trying to get advertisers to change their ads because you don't like the way they look...
I don't care about either of the two so I don't know which came first, but if one's going to change that'll probably be the pro symbol.

Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 10:32
German to English
+ ...
Uncanny similarity Apr 4, 2009

Now that you mention it, there is an uncanny similarity.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You are right! Thanks Samuel! Apr 4, 2009

There is no need to wait until the seal pops up on ProZ.com.
Just go to http://www.trados.com/en/

The basic question is:
Who is the legal owner of the seal?
I am not a lawyer, but either ProZ or SDL must change the seal or replace it with a new one.
On the other hand, we all know that ProZ has a strong business relationship with SDL

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely Apr 4, 2009

Yesterday, I copied and expanded both seals in order to make a better comparison. The only difference is the number of peaks, or whatever they are called, around the seals. Since one of the seals appeared last (I assume the Trados seal from what Samuel says), I have made the same assumptions mentioned here. I'd like to know the motive.

[Edited at 2009-04-04 15:10 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who is the legal owner is irrelevant Apr 4, 2009

italengger wrote:
Who is the legal owner of the seal? ... I am not a lawyer, but either ProZ or SDL must change the seal or replace it with a new one.

You misunderstand me. I'm not advocating that ProZ.com change their seal or that Trados change their seal. Both can keep their seal. I mean, there must be thousands of companies and/or organisations that use a seal that would look similar to the Pro seal or the Trados seal.

ProZ.com can't tell Trados that they must change their seal elsewhere, but ProZ.com can tell Trados to change its seal when used in advertising on the ProZ.com web site. ProZ.com is in charge of what advertisements look like that appear on ProZ.com, and they should exercise their authority responsibly.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no conspiracy Apr 4, 2009

Elías Sauza wrote:
Since one of the seals appeared last ... I have made the same assumptions mentioned here. I'd like to know the motive.

I doubt if there is a motive. To my mind, this is simply a case of two very similar images or brand icons that have popped up in such close proximity to each other and in such a context that it becomes potentially misleading.

[edited title to remove unintended irony]

[Edited at 2009-04-04 19:28 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who calls the shots, and about who came first Apr 4, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
I don't ... know which came first, but if one's going to change that'll probably be the Pro symbol.

Which one came first is not relevant, in my opinion. Whether ProZ.com requests Trados to change the image in their advert will not be determined by whether ProZ.com or Trados were "first" in using the image. Both companies have equal right to use their respective images.

Good luck with trying to get advertisers to change their ads because you don't like the way they look...

Most if not all media have policies about advertising, about what is allowed and what is not. ProZ.com is not a subsidiary of Trados -- they are simply a company who buys advertising space on ProZ.com and who must abide by editorial decisions taken by ProZ.com regarding elements present in advertising displayed on ProZ.com.

Imagine a newspaper that places a little icon (a star, perhaps) next to the articles written by inhouse staff (as opposed to articles written by freelance authors). Now imagine an advertiser placing an advert in the mast head of that paper, and using an icon that looks remarkably similar to the article icon used in various places in the paper. No editor (whether is worth his salt or not) is going to stand for that.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
want to bet? Apr 4, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
I don't ... know which came first, but if one's going to change that'll probably be the Pro symbol.

Which one came first is not relevant, in my opinion. Whether ProZ.com requests Trados to change the image in their advert will not be determined by whether ProZ.com or Trados were "first" in using the image. Both companies have equal right to use their respective images.

Most if not all media have policies about advertising, about what is allowed and what is not. ProZ.com is not a subsidiary of Trados -- they are simply a company who buys advertising space on ProZ.com and who must abide by editorial decisions taken by ProZ.com regarding elements present in advertising displayed on ProZ.com.

Imagine a newspaper that places a little icon (a star, perhaps) next to the articles written by inhouse staff (as opposed to articles written by freelance authors). Now imagine an advertiser placing an advert in the mast head of that paper, and using an icon that looks remarkably similar to the article icon used in various places in the paper. No editor (whether is worth his salt or not) is going to stand for that.

I have five euros that say proz won't go knocking on SDL's door saying they better change their graphics if they want to keep advertising on the site. They certainly can if they want to, but that doesn't mean they will.

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Stock image Apr 4, 2009

No big deal, you see similar images in all sorts of places. Check your local supermarket...

[Edited at 2009-04-04 22:30 GMT]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yeah Apr 4, 2009

Just a wholesale of translators at our global supermarket No big deal, indeed.

Uldis

Ray_S wrote:
No big deal, you see similar images in all sorts of places. Check your local supermarket...

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
20% off Apr 5, 2009

Ray_S wrote:

I like the "20% off seal". Instead of "wine sale" it could read "translator sale"

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 08:32
SITE STAFF
Communicated with SDL Apr 7, 2009

I did speak with appropriate persons at SDL, however as some have indicated in this thread, it is a stock image and they (and ProZ.com, and wine labels etc) are free to use. As this SDL image is across many locations at SDL it would not be possible to "simply" change it. That said I have requested that they limit the 25th anniversary stock image's use in future ads with ProZ.com. We will be receiving new ads for a campaign in the upcoming weeks and will try to ensure that the stock image is not used in SDL ads as it may cause confusion among our community members and site visitors.

Thank you all for bringing this to my attention

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change the seal in the Trados advert

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs