Mobile menu

Videoclip links: embedding possible in Proz.com forums?
Thread poster: ICL

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 14, 2009

Hi,

I just made a quick search with the forum search tool and could not find any result about this, so my apologies in case this has already been asked and I just did not find the corresponding thread.

So my question is: will we be allowed (sometime in the near future/soon) to embed videoclip links (for example, from Youtube.com) in the Proz.com forums?

I have tried a couple times, but the link doesn't show when you use the embedding code, not the normal/simple URL link code.

Cheers,

Ivette

Direct link Reply with quote

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 11:38
SITE STAFF
http://www.proz.com/videos Apr 14, 2009

some links from sites like youtube and certain wikis use style and format designations that are not compatible with our forums. You can however post videos to ProZ.com site at http://proz.com/videos and those links, like this ohe
http://www.proz.com/videos/helpful%20tips/22

should work fine in our forums. I am working on a few videos on how to download and install a free screen capture and annotation software so that users can then make their own videos demonstrating helpful tips and tricks as well.

http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalink.aspx?vid=fa8d422dc1794051abe4761ad22b362a

Drew

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Drew Apr 14, 2009

For your prompt explanation.

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

some links from sites like youtube and certain wikis use style and format designations that are not compatible with our forums.

I wonder if this incompatibility could be easily solved in the long-run, so that, like I said, we may just be able to show/embed the videoclips in the forum threads.

I was not thinking so much in terms of "didactic" videoclips (which, btw, I also think is great to have as a resource here in Proz.com), but rather in more "fun"-related videos we could perhaps just embed in any of our forum replies, instead of having to go to the corresponding Youtube.com page.

Of course, if it is a matter of server space or the like, I understand then that it may be too resource-consuming...

Anyway, have a nice, productive week,

Ivette

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Would it not be problematic for users with slow connection? Apr 15, 2009

Hi Ivette,

Nice suggestion, but I think it may not be so favorable for those using slower connections, as it would slow down page loading considerably. If it is possible to make the view optionable, why not, though?

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Internet connection speed Apr 15, 2009

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Hi Ivette,

Nice suggestion, but I think it may not be so favorable for those using slower connections, as it would slow down page loading considerably. If it is possible to make the view optionable, why not, though?

Hallo Özden,

I am not sure if there is any relationship between the connection speed and viewing embedded video links in the forums. I would think that if anyone has a slow Internet connection speed, then everything will be slow for them, including viewing embedded videos.

I am just wondering if it is only a technical detail (the format, as Drew mentioned) that is keeping us from embedding video links in the forums. Again, I don't know if this would affect server space, which, like I said, may then be resource-consuming.

I just thought it would be fun, for example, when chatting about movies or music, to be able to embed some related videos that would make it easier to "follow up" the "conversation".

Let's see what "El Jefe" decides about this...

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 11:38
SITE STAFF
Links yes, embeded video perhaps no Apr 15, 2009

There are two issues - simply entering links in to our forums from sites like youtube often cause the link to be broken due to characters like : and - which do not render properly or are used as shortcuts for items like smiles. I will check with the dev team to see if this can be rectified and what it would take. If it involves a complete overhaul and replacement of the forum system it may not be prudent to undertake. Embedding actual videos via HTML will probably not be an option for a variety of reasons including server space, usability and page load times.

I will check with the development team and update this thread shortly.

Thanks everyone.

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Videoclip links: embedding possible in Proz.com forums?

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs