Mobile menu

Legitimacy of some queries
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2002

Recently, I noticed that someone posted a question for translation into two minor EU languages. It was two complete sentences, apparently some sort of labeling. When I looked up the asker\'s profile, this individual was not a translator of either language, however, did seem to have his own translation agency. I also noticed that many of the translator who usually answer questions, refrained from doing so this time. The others, knowingly or unwittingly just provided pro-bono work, it would seem. Is this fair?

Direct link Reply with quote

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:55
German to Italian
+ ...
Not at all! Feb 14, 2002

It is not fair at all. Though I\'m a Proz member since 31 Jan 2002 only but started working as a freelance translator/interpreter in 1989, I already noticed that many questions are put by people of \'unknwon\' origin, maybe agencies too, why not, but since they receive their answers... they keep on doing so.

On Monday an \'unknown\' girl posted a \'whole translation\' It/En and when I dared asking her if the translation was a long one, a peer \'disagreed\' strongly and told me that I simply needed to change my e-mail preferences! That\'s it.

The \'unknown\' girl is still posting whole sentences on quite different topics everyday and... receiving answers!

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:55
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
What a poor spirit of solidarity ! Feb 15, 2002

I\'m afraid my English doesn\'t allow me to express myself as I would like, but I have already noticed that someone was abusing and I asked the asker in the \"ask for more context\" space if it was a whole translation or whatever. And I must say that as soon as peers noticed that I wanted to warn for something everybody stopped answering. That was a very nice solidarity mouvement. I have also seen when there are long texts posted, and the first answer says that the asker won\'t have it translated if he doesn\'t post it as a job, most of the times every body agrees, but often there is one who translates the whole text.

I must say and make notice that both type of askers are very bad payers. Those who get their answers in this way usually don\'t award the Kudoz. I have some examples, but giving them would be like accusing those who answer, and my purpose isn\'t to point on them, but to develop solidarity.

I think we should have a space to make comments (we aren\'t allowed to do it in the space to ask for more context).

I think it must be a bad experience what happened to tou, Antonella, but our peers are not only like the one who answered to you.

Claudia Iglesias

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the moderator(s) Feb 15, 2002

Recent experience in the DE>EN / EN>DE sub-communities has shown that comments designed to make an asker post a job can result in a flared discussion - in a format that is just not designed to support this kind of exchange. (Which is one of the reasons, I suspect, why KudoZ rules of etiquette ask users to refrain from commenting on the decision to post, or to answer.)

What I suggest you should do in the event of suspected abuse is to contact the moderator(s) of the SC concerned. (Contact ProZ if you don\'t know the moderator for the particular SC.) What we will do is to contact the suspected offender first (from a neutral position - usually that keeps everyone calm). Failing that, we will escalate the issue to ProZ staff who will take appropriate steps, such as blocking the asker\'s e-mail address, or even suspending a member.

Best regards, Ralf

(Co-mod DE>EN)

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
It's not over... Feb 15, 2002

At the end of that same day the \'unknown girl\' posted a whole page, the one containing the terms/sentences she posted some hours before asking Pros a sort of a proofreading. Thus I wrote back to the peer who disagreed with me and told her to have a look at the new query of that \'unknown\' girl. I received no answer, but THAT peer did answer to that last proofreading query!!!

I mean it was an It/En translation, a quite easy one. My point is: provided you\'re a young translator, as I was too at the beginning, at least buy some \'stupid\' dictionaries or do not accept translations you cannot make... provided you are...but I have some doubts...

But yes, if this things happen again I will contact the moderator ...

Many thanks to all of you.

Bye

Antonella

P.S.: Apart from some problems, I find the ProZ site a really exciting one!!!
[addsig]

Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
Correct Ralf !! Feb 24, 2002

Today there was a $100 job posted eng>swe, divided in about 100 questions.

I used my privillege to squash all that nobody had so far answered to (I did not want to remove points for anybody who had spent time answering). I got a very flaming (private) mail from the asker as a result.

However I don\'t care about that - such is life on the Internet, where some people think that everything is for free

Regards

Hans THE Super-squasher...

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 18:55
German to English
+ ...
Well done & thank you! Feb 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-24 21:12, kmedia wrote:

Today there was a $100 job posted eng>swe, divided in about 100 questions.

I used my privillege to squash all that nobody had so far answered to (I did not want to remove points for anybody who had spent time answering). I got a very flaming (private) mail from the asker as a result.

However I don\'t care about that - such is life on the Internet, where some people think that everything is for free

Regards

Hans THE Super-squasher...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legitimacy of some queries

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs