Mobile menu

Please make Kudoz Glossaries searchable using wildcard characters. (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: J_R_Tuladhar
J_R_Tuladhar
Local time: 23:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 17, 2003

Sometimes you don't know the exact word
you are looking for, or you don't know
the spelling. If you make the glossaries searchable
using wildcrads like ?, * (as in Dos) ,
they will be much more useful.

Thanks.

Jina Tuladhar.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 16:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 19:28
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
you can already do that... Aug 17, 2003

let's say you're looking for the Japanese translation of "combustion engine". If you type in "combust", then it'll show you all the words in the glossary that include that string.

HTH

Alison

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
Member (2002)
German to English
How is "minimal match value" supposed to work? Aug 17, 2003

I agree with Alison, most of the time there are plenty of results even without a special wildcard feature.

I think the recent upgrades to the Kudoz search feature are major improvements. In particular, it's great to have the "save settings" button, at long last!

Could Proz staff please explain how the "minimal match value" feature is supposed to work - I don't notice it having any effect on searches so far.

Also, what is the significance of "edited entries only"? Who is editing whose entries? Are personal glossaries affected?

Thanks for shedding any light on these points - Deborah

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
There's a difference between KudoZ search and Internet search Aug 17, 2003

I think in KudoZ search you get much more results than in Internet search, and I had to open a new page for the KudoZ search when I was sure that there should be an answer, otherwise the Internet search said that there was no answer. So it seems that both programs don't have the same match value (I'd like both to work as KudoZ search).

I think that "Edited entries" are those from closed questions and added to the glossaries, personal or not.

J_R_Tuladhar
Local time: 23:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked. Aug 19, 2003

Thank you, Alison!
I tried it and it worked.

But I noticed that not only source-language words but also target-language words which contained
the search string were shown. This was annoying. A system which narrows your
search would be very useful.

Jina Tuladhar.

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

let's say you're looking for the Japanese translation of "combustion engine". If you type in "combust", then it'll show you all the words in the glossary that include that string.

HTH

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please make Kudoz Glossaries searchable using wildcard characters. (Mod:'done')

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs