Mobile menu

Spell checker in KudoZ answer template (T)
Thread poster: Steffen Walter

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2003

Hi all,

Following the discussion about spelling errors at , I would like to suggest implementation of the above, although I am perfectly aware of the fact that there are other, more pressing issues. Just for the pipeline, though...

We're all prone to the odd spelling mistake - some members see this as quite embarrassing. As it stands now, such mishaps can only be corrected by using the 'add a note' feature.

Hence my suggestion triggered by above question/answer:
Why not integrate a spell checker in the KudoZ answer template (at least for English, for a start)?
(if reasonably feasible in terms of programming, that is)

Curiously awaiting comments,

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 20:55]

Direct link Reply with quote
German to English
+ ...
Good idea Aug 21, 2003

Nice one, Steffen. Yes, although most typos are pounced upon by other members, there is always the danger that the asker (particularly non-native speakers) will include the typo in his/her translation, or - horror of horrors - the glossary.

If this isn't feasible from a technical point of view, how about the option of editing the suggestions (the actual answer which appears in the table beside the scores)? In order to stop the criminal element changing their answers later on, it would be a good idea for the original answer to be still visible to all.

Hope this helps,

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
+ ...
Try this software Aug 22, 2003

Steffen Walter wrote:

Why not integrate a spell checker in the KudoZ answer template (at least for English, for a start)?
(if reasonably feasible in terms of programming, that is)

I think it is feasible. Look at this option:

Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
agree --> agree but wrong spelling -> neutral -.> disagree Aug 22, 2003

mnaybe we should implement an additional case for commants.

And maybe it will be good, if i can change the spelling of my answers, like the correction of forum postings

invguy  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
English to Bulgarian
Not sure about the idea Aug 22, 2003

I mean, a spell checker would have one hell of a time with the KudoZ content - having in mind that very often it is about terms that don't belong to a regular spell checker's database.

Then, what about those colloquialisms that many of us like to use when answering/commenting in their 'home' language pairs?

If we should all be able to add new words to the database, then there is the hazard that it will become a mess very quickly.

OTOH I, too, have thought that I'd like to be able to correct a mistake which I initially overlooked.

At the same time, allowing editing of the answer would ruin the attractiveness of the iterative process of finding the best solution.

Sorry if this sounds stupid (I'm not a programmer anyway) but:

Would it be possible to have a button beside the 'Add note' window which says 'Spelling correction' - and, when pressed, would colour the note, f. instance, in red? Thus the red notes would be clearly visible and known to be (self-added) spelling corrections; it would be better if these stood out in some way, especially amidst long explanations and multiple added notes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell checker in KudoZ answer template (T)

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs