Respect to World Languages
Thread poster: xxxallingus
xxxallingus
Local time: 02:55
Turkish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2002

Hi friends,

I have long been withessing to some interesting translations or let\'s say, answerers to terms help q\'s.

My personal language pairs are En-Tu. However, I am tracking the records of many other pairs to figure out something critical!

It ain\'t easy to express the feeling inside, really not, but I\'ll try to!

Somebody is asking German equivalent of an English term... Receiving many replies...

Another one is asking French equivalent of an English term... Receiving many replies...

I have long asked many English terms help q\'s for equivalents in Turkish and in various areas of speciazitaion. I have received many answers.

To me or to science, every single language is representing a unique world culture. And our planet is hosting thousands of different culters, which I do feel that makes here a colourful and joyful place to live.

I do believe that, as professional translators, we have to show full respect to any and all world languages and cultures.

Do you know why?

Answer is very simple We are living in such an information and technology era that, each day we wake-up, another language is dying, inculding all contents of a unique culture, and our cultural world is becoming more and more weakened every new day.

To my personal opinion, English or some other major languages does have no need to invade other languages. The responsible people in the case are we, the translators. We have to protect each language and respect to it in full.

An example...

If I ask the Turkish equivalent of \"texel\" word in English, registered En-Tu proz are quite reasonably expected to offer an explanation and a Turkish word. Am I wrong!?

But if they offer me to use the word as is, this is not the correct answer, why? Because 1 - There is no \"x\" letter in TURKISH alphabet. 2 - The word is extracted from a user\'s manual of a hardware, which will surely be delivered to tens of thousands of Turkish people who do not know Enlglish language. 3 - A manual of a product aims to describe it in detail in the target languge for end users.

Another example...

I personally do not know German. I posted an immediate job announcement in Proz. This was the brochure of a new product in English and the target language was German. I requested bidders to translate a sample text. 81 bidders returned with translated samples. Chief of my German desk requested me to have a look to the samples, and I was happy Becasue I didn\'t know German but I was understanding what I read. Only, yes only 6 of the samples were in clean and real German. The rest were in a different language, a mix of German and English.

I think Enlglish is English, and German is German and should stay this way to keep our planet a good place to live. And I am also sure that Turkish is Turkish, and it should keep its nature for the same reason.

Now,

My question is to all translators, agencies and to Proz management...

Do you think that, community or subcommunity leaders or another automated system should filter answers to terms help q\'s, if the answers are not correct in the target language.

I know the professional approach and good spirit that leads Proz management. Here is really a perfect place to consult, to collaborate, to announce jobs and to discuss. However, no translator in any language pairs should violate any specific language and language rights in general delibaretly through Proz.

I believe Proz may overcome this problem easily and I hope he will.

Look forweard to hear you experiences and opinions.

Kind Regards,

Kamil Kartal

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Respect to World Languages

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs