The validity of ATA accreditation for agencies (D)
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2003

Hello,

I am wondering if the practice of allowing agencies to claim ATA accreditation is really kosher here -- after all, the ATA gives accreditation to individuals only, not to agencies, after passing an examination. An agency may say that it has a freelancer who is accredited, but what is to guarantee that that particular person is available at any given time? And why should the credential of a person who is NOT the agency go to make the agency look better?

I don't ha
... See more
Hello,

I am wondering if the practice of allowing agencies to claim ATA accreditation is really kosher here -- after all, the ATA gives accreditation to individuals only, not to agencies, after passing an examination. An agency may say that it has a freelancer who is accredited, but what is to guarantee that that particular person is available at any given time? And why should the credential of a person who is NOT the agency go to make the agency look better?

I don't have a problem with agencies saying they are professional, and it's certainly encouraging to see that they appreciate the ATA credentials. But it doesn't seem right for an organization to claim the credential of an individual, especially when in some cases agencies claim hundreds of these credentials. I might believe eight or ten or twenty, based on the number of employees who are actually full-time with the company, but when a company claims accreditation in every language from A to Z...well, it just doesn't seem right.

Don't know what others think about this.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 20:51]
Collapse

Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Hang Nguyen-Padfield  Identity Verified
United States
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
It happens with the English-Vietnamese language pair, too! Aug 26, 2003

This agency claims that they have ATA credentials for the English-Vietnamese pair.It is funny because ATA currently does not offer accreditation in this language pair. I wonder how many people actually believe their claim.

Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Vietnamese Language Services
6657 Bouganvillea Crescent Drive
Orlando, Florida 32809, USA

Voice: 407-826-9386... See more
This agency claims that they have ATA credentials for the English-Vietnamese pair.It is funny because ATA currently does not offer accreditation in this language pair. I wonder how many people actually believe their claim.

Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Vietnamese Language Services
6657 Bouganvillea Crescent Drive
Orlando, Florida 32809, USA

Voice: 407-826-9386
Fax: 407-540-9351
Web: www.viet-translate.com

[Edited at 2003-08-26 20:11]

[Edited at 2003-08-26 20:11]
Collapse

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmmm...isn't there some icon saying ProZ Aug 26, 2003

It seems to me that the accreditation "icons" have a word next to them saying that they were "confirmed"...by ProZ...is that so in those cases??

---well, seems that there isn't always...in one agency profile I picked at random, none of the icons had that "confirmed" thing next to them. But I still feel it is misleading at best.

[Edited at 2003-08-26 20:30]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
There is "ATA confirmed" and simply "ATA" Aug 26, 2003

And I have seen "ATA" in the profiles of paying members.

The old ATA icon for people who had passed the tests was changed into "ATA confirmed".

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA is one thing, accredited is another! Aug 26, 2003

An agency can be a MEMBER of the ATA; this is completely normal.

However, as an agency cannot be ACCREDITED by the ATA, I submit that these listings are inappropriate.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
How about asking ATA about anything suspicious? Aug 27, 2003

They have a strong interest in protecting their name, and I think they enjoy checking whether any stated accreditation is correct in form and extent, and if they don't even offer that language direction..

[Edited at 2003-08-27 06:02]

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Good idea, Harry... Aug 27, 2003

[quote]Harry_B wrote:

They have a strong interest in protecting their name, and I think they enjoy checking whether any stated accreditation is correct in form and extent, and if they don't even offer that language direction..
quote]

I have thought the same thing for a long time. It would be interesting to have an ATA check, although I think that proz does well, there are so many of us on the site now that it must be quite a job to check everyone in due time.

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would it not be more appropriate to... Aug 27, 2003

call this to the attention of our own membership and/or staff, and let it be handled here?

I see no need to embarass ProZ in front of the ATA if it is a simple oversight, which I am sure it is. ProZ does not set out to willingly misrepresent anything. The agencies really *ought* to know better, IMHO, but from claiming 5,297 languages to claiming accreditation is probably not that big a step in some cases.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
Different problems - different solutions Aug 27, 2003

Agencies showing "ATA accreditation" (or any other accreditation being only applicable to natural persons) is a conceptual problem to be overthought by ProZ.

Whereas prosecution of fraudsters is such a wide field it cannot be left to ProZ alone, although it can be helpful to discuss such cases in our "inner circles" first..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The validity of ATA accreditation for agencies (D)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »