Mobile menu

The new changes to the search box (Staff:'done')
Thread poster: Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2003

I think I may have been the person to suggest including the Search box in the new design for the site. I must say that I am not fond of the current Search box that appears throughout the site.

One of the things that is nice about the new design is that it keeps things maximaly simple. The current search box design kind of goes against that. It seems busy to me. Also, the font size seems out of place, and check boxes are not used in that same manner anywhere else in Proz that I am aware of.

Was this a response to legions of Proz folks crying out for this kind of change? Could something similar be achieved with one 'advanced search' link that allowed the selection of additional options if desired?

However, I would like to also say that I appreciate the new look of the site as a whole, and continue to appreciate the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep things up and running. Thanks folks!

-JR

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 16:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:35
SITE FOUNDER
Change was made in light of usage patterns Nov 15, 2003

Thanks for your feedback.

The change to the search box was made after a review of the manner in which the function is being used.

For example, the most common searches are for terms and members, but the default was to search the whole site (including forums, faqs, etc.) We can increase the relevance of search results, and make the search faster, by requiring a bit of extra info up font.

Your feedback related to design is helpful. Please give it a week and then if it still bothers you, please let us know.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It takes more steps Nov 16, 2003

Hi Henry

For now I've just used it to look for members, and if I write "Claudia Iglesias" and select "Members", I get into the "Freelance Directory" which asks me to select languages and field. I have to select on the left "Search by name" and to write the name again.
It was quicker before, although I appreciate the idea of splitting. Maybe this can be corrected.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:35
English to German
+ ...
Go directly to the Directory section Nov 16, 2003

Hi Claudia,
Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi Henry

For now I've just used it to look for members, and if I write "Claudia Iglesias" and select "Members", I get into the "Freelance Directory" which asks me to select languages and field. I have to select on the left "Search by name" and to write the name again.
It was quicker before, although I appreciate the idea of splitting. Maybe this can be corrected.

If you're looking for a particular member, why don't you go straight to the directory (Directory - Search by name)? I guess that's the fastest route...

HTH, Ralf

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Quick way to find a member via the new search box Nov 16, 2003

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

The quick way is to select "Members" (tick the tick box), enter the keyword for the member search, and click the "Go" - directly beneath the search box (not the "go" next to members).
This way you go straight to the list of member(s) found.

(If you click the "go" next to members, you go to the directory, on the other hand).

Some comfort for Claudia I hope:-)
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

For finding member(s) with a keyword it is slightly quicker than before (using the "quick route"), because we used to have to de-select/leave selected boxes in a second screen, and then click again (so it's now one step quicker).

On Forum searches.
If it is possible,
I would like to be able to scroll down or go to further pages, when there is more than 1 page of forum posting titles
yielded by a search - at the moment only one page of the newest titles is shown.

If it could be done, it would be very useful for researching items that have already been talked (written:-)) about.

[Edited at 2003-11-16 23:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The new changes to the search box (Staff:'done')

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs