Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
It should be clarified that the right to view community rates is platinum-only (staff: 'fixed')
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 9, 2003

G'day
I wanted to view the community rates, but the page said that I can only view community rates if I provide my own rates. So I did. But then when I tried to view the community rates, the page said that community rates are only viewable for Platinum members. This is dishonest. Rather mention the Platinum requirement on the first page as well.

Direct link

Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:31
English to German
Agree. Dec 9, 2003

I agree. I think this should be mentioned before the rates are entered.

Julia

Direct link

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Samuel Dec 9, 2003

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:
anted to view the community rates, but the page said that I can only view community rates if I provide my own rates. So I did. But then when I tried to view the community rates, the page said that community rates are only viewable for Platinum members. This is dishonest. Rather mention the Platinum requirement on the first page as well.[/quote]

I just had a look at the FAQ
What rates are people asking? Can I view aggregated data?
You can view the rates entered the ProZ.com community on this page or by using the 'View rates' link in the menu. Limitations:
Available to Platinum members only
You must enter your rates
You can view the rates for up to 5 of your language pairs.

In which page wasn't it written that it was just for Platinum members? It might be an omission or a bug.
I think that some time ago this wasn't restricted to Platinum only, and it could be the reason, a page that is not up-dated.

Anyway, please give the link and I'll forward it to staff.

EDITING: I never meant that I didn't believe what Samuel said, I just meant that in order to correct it we had to know in which page was the problem.

[Edited at 2003-12-11 00:57]

Direct link

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
English to Tamil
+ ...
Exactly my experience Dec 10, 2003

It is nearly 10 months, the same thing happened to me. Yet it is painful to recall even now. I too was led down the garden path, only to be confronted by the platinum requirement after I entered my details. I do not understand the platinum requirement for knowing the rates. No matter, it is their site and their policy. But they can at least be open about it.
As for the FAQ and all that I can only say that a newcomer like me could not be expected to read all the small prints.
Having said this let me hasten to add that I find this portal very useful in general.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2003-12-10 10:31]

Direct link

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Claudia's post Dec 10, 2003

In which page wasn't it written that it was just for Platinum members? It might be an omission or a bug.

I was filling in a quote for a job at www.proz.com/?sp=j_b&job_id=47112 and there was the option "View the community's rates". I clicked on it and got the message that I needed to fill in the rates survey.

If I click it now, I do get the message that I need to be a Platinum member, but perhaps that's because the system recognises that I already participated in the survey.

[Edited at 2003-12-10 11:29]

Direct link

Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Though Dec 10, 2003

Yes, we should read the FAQs, but still it is dishonest. All requirements should be displayed at the same time, I think.

Direct link

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
An observence Dec 10, 2003

But doesn't that defeat the purpose though, of creating a *community* rate? I mean, this will only provide a Platinum Community rate and not a fair average of the Translating Community.

Care to comment?

Direct link

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates survey Dec 10, 2003

But doesn't that defeat the purpose though, of creating a *community* rate? I mean, this will only provide a Platinum Community rate and not a fair average of the Translating Community.

I see nothing wrong with making the rate survey results available to Platinum members only. The average will still be fair because the survey includes rates from non-Platinum members too, I think.

That said, the Aquarius rates survey is viewable even to non-members and I concur that such a step by Proz would be a welcome one.

Direct link

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Staff is aware now Dec 10, 2003

Although I agree on the fact that it must be unpleasant, frustrating, and seem unfair, I don't like the word "Dishonesty" as it implies ill intention, and I'm sure the reason for that problem is just technical (that shouldn't exist, I agree), and that will be corrected.

[Edited at 2003-12-10 11:46]

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It should be clarified that the right to view community rates is platinum-only (staff: 'fixed')

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs