https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/17058-adding_the_language_lingala_on_dropdown_menu_d.html

Adding the language Lingala on dropdown menu (D)
Thread poster: Anh Pham
Anh Pham
Anh Pham  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 3, 2004

I have been telling a Congolese friend who is fluent in German, French, English, Lingala (the language of the Congo) and who has a great deal of translation experience that she would find ProZ very helpful. My friend tried to sign up yesterday but could not find Lingala on the dropdown language menu. I am wondering if it would be wise to add this and other lesser known languages in expectation of future demand for translation between them and the better known ones. Thanks for looking into this,... See more
I have been telling a Congolese friend who is fluent in German, French, English, Lingala (the language of the Congo) and who has a great deal of translation experience that she would find ProZ very helpful. My friend tried to sign up yesterday but could not find Lingala on the dropdown language menu. I am wondering if it would be wise to add this and other lesser known languages in expectation of future demand for translation between them and the better known ones. Thanks for looking into this, Henry.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 16:23]
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:56
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Anh Pham Jan 3, 2004

Do please encourage your friend to join using 'other' in the place of Lingala (for the moment:-)), and at the same time as joining your friend should send a support request e-mail (MainMenu=-Help=-SupportRequest) asking that Lingala is added to the "list of all languages known to Proz", and that the "other"= language pairs in their profile are changed to "Lingala"=, since they have joined and would like to work with it.
On past experience, the site will be happy to do this for an existing
... See more
Do please encourage your friend to join using 'other' in the place of Lingala (for the moment:-)), and at the same time as joining your friend should send a support request e-mail (MainMenu=-Help=-SupportRequest) asking that Lingala is added to the "list of all languages known to Proz", and that the "other"= language pairs in their profile are changed to "Lingala"=, since they have joined and would like to work with it.
On past experience, the site will be happy to do this for an existing member, although with apologies there may be a short delay because of other demands on the technical team (in the mean time your friend should make sure Lingala is at least mentioned in the text of the profile).
Best wishes
Giuli Kvrivishvili
~English Russian Georgian~
Collapse

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
Local time: 02:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lingala (the language of the Congo) Jan 3, 2004

Anh Pham wrote:

I have been telling a Congolese friend who is fluent in German, French, English, Lingala (the language of the Congo) and who has a great deal of translation experience that she would find ProZ very helpful.

Some information on Lingala (the language of the Congo)

Lingala is one of the Bantu languages spoken in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congo-Kinshasa) and the Republic of the Congo (Congo-Brazzaville).

In the 19th century the lingua franca used along the Congo river was called Lobangi. That language was learned and influenced by the African helpers the westeners brought in from other places (Zanzibar, Comoros and the Tanganyikan inland). Later on the westerners began to learn the language themselves. After 1880 the language became known as Bangala and around 1900 it was replaced by term Lingala. The term first appears in a written form in a publication by the missionary Egide De Boeck (1903).

Its vocabulary has borrowed from French, there is some Portuguese influence (such as the words for butter (manteka), table (mesa), shoes (sapatu) and even some English influences, such as the word for milk for instance (miliki), or book (buku). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the Best for 2004!
MLD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding the language Lingala on dropdown menu (D)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »