Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Jan 15, 2004

Sometimes I find the answer to my own question (after extensive research or a good night sleep) before receiving any answers. In these cases I would find it very useful to be able to remove the question. That would save my fellow-translators some (or a lot of) time.
What do you think?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 19:34]

Fabienne Garlatti
Fabienne Garlatti  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:38
English to French
+ ...
Close our own Kudoz query when proz help no longer needed Jan 15, 2004

- remove or, better still, be able to close our own queries with the translation finally retained but not suggested. (Some answers help you find the final translation but are not necessarily appropriate).

Kudoz points would obviously need to be disabled in this case.

I have suggested this to the Proz support team in the past. No answer to date.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
OK if you can leave some explanation Jan 15, 2004

I can see the point of this idea, but I think it would be somewhat irritating to those who had answered the question if it just suddenly vanished without trace. Answerers often revisit questions to see how they are progressing, and if you have found the answer yourself, might like to know it. So I think it needs some mechanism for leaving the question visible but not open to answering for a couple of days (or whatever period is considered suitable), with an explanation of what the asker has di... See more
I can see the point of this idea, but I think it would be somewhat irritating to those who had answered the question if it just suddenly vanished without trace. Answerers often revisit questions to see how they are progressing, and if you have found the answer yourself, might like to know it. So I think it needs some mechanism for leaving the question visible but not open to answering for a couple of days (or whatever period is considered suitable), with an explanation of what the asker has discovered about it. And even if no answers are required, there ought to be a facility for comment on the asker's solution.Collapse

Ildiko Santana
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Dear Jack, please read the question/suggestion before replying Jan 15, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

I can see the point of this idea, but I think it would be somewhat irritating to those who had answered the question if it just suddenly vanished without trace.

In both the title, "Removing unanswered KudoZ questions" and in my message, "...I find the answer to my own question [...] before receiving any answers" I was talking about KudoZ questions left unanswered.

Thank you.

Ildiko Santana
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Too bad... Jan 15, 2004

Fabienne Cousineau wrote:

- remove or, better still, be able to close our own queries with the translation finally retained but not suggested.

Good point, Fabienne. Others might benefit from that solution.

I have suggested this to the Proz support team in the past. No answer to date.

That's too bad..

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:38
English to Estonian
+ ...
I've suggested being able to answer one's own question in such cases Jan 15, 2004

No luck either.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
Italian to English
Jack's right Jan 15, 2004

I am sure Jack meant "looked at" instead of "answered" in his second line but his suggestions seem to me to offer a constructive solution.
Members may have searched for ages or racked their brains without success, over a question they are interested in and, IMHO, the asker should be given the opportunity or even be prompted to share the solution they have found and make a glossary entry.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give a minimum to the most helpful answer Jan 15, 2004

and enter the answer you found with a "thank you" - most-appreciated option.

It can happen that all the answers given are really off. Then DECLINE the answers and close the question.

To put your answer on the record, enter it into your own glossary. That'd be a great help.

Ildiko Santana
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
thanks, everyone Jan 17, 2004

Parrot wrote:
Give a minimum to the most helpful answer

Perhaps you can tell me which one that would be in the particular case (i.e. no answers at all) I was talking about.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your input. Some things are beyond us, paying and non-paying members alike.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing unanswered KudoZ questions (T)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »